Last Ride - Celebrating #88

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by RevBob, Aug 31, 2012.

1. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    We have good friends who had a son, Matt, whose dream was to be a champion professional quad racer. Matt was the 1999 national champion for 90 CC modified ATV’s and turned pro for the 2002 season. He just missed the top ten and was poised to be a force in 2003. In the opening race of the 2003 season on January 3, the ATV Winter Olympics in Gainesville, FL, Matt collided with another rider in mid-air - 20 feet above the ground. His quad landed on him, crushing his chest and killing him instantly. Matt Bartosek was 19. His funeral was the largest at which I have officiated, people came from all over the country. The church was packed - people stood in the bell tower, on the front steps, and listened over the loudspeaker in the nursery.
    That summer his family began a memorial/celebration race in Matt's memory. This year marked the 10th and final celebration race. My family has attended many of these and I was present this year to help Matt's dad, Ed, cook for the big community meal for all of the racers and families. I took some time to shoot the practice runs last Saturday.
    More information: ATVA Grand National Championships - Macon, GA Echeconnee Park

MRDK-0485.

MRDK-0491.

MRDK-0512.

MRDK-0560.

MRDK-0563.

MRDK-0564.

MRDK-0595.

MRDK-0650.

MRDK-0648.

MRDK-0645.

Photos taken primarily with my E-P3 and 100-300mm, also with the E-PL2, 20mm and 14mm.

• Like Like x 14
  2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Some very nice acion pics, Rev. And the story says a lot about resilience when the first inclination is to probably throw in the towel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Nicely done Bob. Thanks for sharing the images and the story. Must have been a tough but rewarding day.

Hard to pick a favorite -- too many great shots. Second to last I suppose, if I was forced to. If only m4/3s could shoot motor sports... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Infinite

Infinite Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2012
    Over the Rainbow
    S
    Thank you for this post, Rev Bob. Both the story and the photos were captivating... I am moved that his family was able to rise above the accident and hold these races commemorating all that Matt had dreamed for and lived for, for 10 years. :')

• Like Like x 1
  5. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Bob, very nice. I grew up riding dirt bikes and own a quad today. To old for all the jumps, but I still like to ride. Hmmm I didn't think the PENs could do sports.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    They can't do sports, it's an optical illusion! :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  7. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    Very impressive pictures!

• Like Like x 1
  8. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Good on ya, Bob. I had no idea you were an actual cleric.

Having been involved in enough vehicle vs. ped calls I've lost count, I'm glad he went quickly and that his legacy is secured for those still here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Yep, I'm a United Methodist preacher. I've served churches now for 31 years. :smile:

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great action shots Bob, my favorite is probably #6, by a narrow margin :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I think I like one or two the best. They have that classic motocross look. But, any one of them could be the cover of Dirt Bkie magizine.

Bob, what mode did you shoot these in?

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Thanks! I shot most of these in shutter priority - it was a very bright day and allowed fast shutter speeds to stop the action.

13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    love the shots..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great story and pictures Bob.:thumbup:

I never new the 100-300 was so sharp, considering this lens now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dear Bob sorry to hear that . Its very hard for parents of a young 19 year old boy to undergo such an emotional state but this is life and few things arent in our hands . Lets pray that his soul rests in peace.
    Those shots are wonderful and who says MFT cant shoot action?
    Cheers
    Bhupnder

• Like Like x 1