Lassen Peak snow climb

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
We climbed Lassen Peak in northern California 3 weeks ago, before the heat really started to clear out the snow. The road through the park was ploughed but it was still closed to vehicles, so we had 14 miles of road hiking, and ~5 miles of snowshoeing, roundtrip. This was my third attempt (first successful) to do Lassen as a snow climb.

Climbing
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Summit crater

Southeast view toward Lake Almanor

Wish I'd thought to bring a bike!

Helen Lake and Lassen Peak

After sunset

heedpantsnow

Mu-43 Veteran
Beautiful! I've done a bit of technical mountaineering around the world. I miss it. I live in Florida now; the largest mountain around is the landfill. :mad:

Keep the pictures coming; it's good for my soul.

peterpix

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Randal
Beautiful! I've done a bit of technical mountaineering around the world. I miss it. I live in Florida now; the largest mountain around is the landfill. :mad:

I thought the highest places in Florida were the highway overpasses!

But loved the mountain hike photos. Can't hike anymore and it brings back best memories!

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Thanks folks! We ended up taking most of the day (had a bit of a late start too) so I actually didn't get much of a chance to admire the view from the summit. Still, well worth the effort.

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
Dara,
Beautiful photos. I went to Lassen when I was stationed at Beale AFB in 1967. The view from the summit is indeed spectacular. I can remember seeing Mt. Shasta in the distance. My camera at the time was a Yashica EZ-matic. Not a great camera but I did manage some fair photos from the climb. One of my friends took one of me sitting on one of the rock pinnacles on the summit.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Dara,
Beautiful photos. I went to Lassen when I was stationed at Beale AFB in 1967. The view from the summit is indeed spectacular. I can remember seeing Mt. Shasta in the distance. My camera at the time was a Yashica EZ-matic. Not a great camera but I did manage some fair photos from the climb. One of my friends took one of me sitting on one of the rock pinnacles on the summit.
I'll bet it was a lot less popular a climb back then. Fortunately in the winter things aren't too bad, but in the summer it's practically a continuous stream of people on the trail.

If you squint you can see Mt. Shasta in the second photo, poking up amidst the clouds.

Don't knock the Yashica though - it's got a full-frame sensor!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom