1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

las vegas

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jay395, Apr 8, 2012.

1. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Hi all, i am going to vegas in a few months, its prob a once in a lifetime thing so was wondering what people thought was the best camera for the low iso in low light situations out there. I have the g3, but if there was a camera which will be better i would like to know as i want the best possible photos that i can.

thanks in advance

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What lenses do you currently own?

3. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    14-42 45-200 and a 14mm pancake lens

4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    The best lens would be the Oly 12 IMHO.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you've got the $$, the Oly 45mm and Panasonic 20mm are good, fast, lenses that won't break your bank.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Without knowing your current lens lineup or budget... I would recommend the 12mm + 25mm.

7. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Im guessing you all think that the g3 is plenty good enough for what i need, just get some fast lenses?

8. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    The 20 would also be a good choice.
    I have used both there.

9. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    What kind of pictures are you looking to take? It's hard to say with any certainty over lenses or the body without knowing what you want to photograph. As a generality though, considering the G3 is one of the more recent bodies/sensors, it should do fine at night walking up and down the Strip. Get fast glass of a focal length you will find useful, and you should be set.

10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Nikon D3S with a f/0.95 lens is probably the best you're going to get in low light ;)

/TROLL

The G3 should do a fine job with fast glass. Practice your bracing skills/breathing/etc to reduce camera shake. You can also consider an external flash to sit in your hotshoe if you're aiming at non-backlit stuff (people and statues are pretty much it on that front in Vegas :) )

I'd leave the zooms in the hotel for the night shots. The 14 will likely do you well if you like that FoV. If you like wider shots (and vegas loves wide lenses), you could consider buying or renting the 7-14mm (I did fine w/ that lens on my GF1 which is way worse in low light than your G3), or the 12mm. The 25 f/1.2 and/or the Oly 45 f/1.8 would be fantastic for people on the strip if you're into that sort of thing. The 20mm f/1.7 would be a good do-all if you're not picky about getting closeup people or very wide wides and are going to be too busy to swap lenses a lot.

Also, try not to drink so much - easier to get sharp pics and swap lenses when the world isn't spinning around you :)

11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Unless you're hitting the seedier side of Vegas, I was under the impression that Vegas is actually very well lit, and extremes in dynamic range is more of a problem.

12. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Is that not one of the downfalls of the m4/3 format at the moment?

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    In RAW mode, most people couldn't tell the difference. Go for the highlights, that's where the pretty stuff is anyhow.

14. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    When I was in Vegas earlier this year, I used an E-PM1 and Pana 20mm almost exclusively. That combo worked great in most situations, especially at night (Vegas is very well lit at night). I was able to stay at ISO 1600 and below, for the most part, after dark. A fast, wide FOV (Oly 12mm?) would be a better choice than the 20mm; the slower m43 wide angle zooms would be a problem at night unless you bring a tripod with you.

If you make a trek out to the Grand Canyon or Hoover Dam, you will definitely want something very wide angle (but keep your fast prime(s) with you if you do the interior tour of the Hoover Dam).