Largest filter size needed for Mu43?

lsteere

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm going to get a couple of good filters for my 4/3 lense and want to be sure they'll fit any future lenses I may also get - step up adapters are cheap! It looks like the Oly 14-150 uses a 58mm. Are there any native lenses that need bigger than 58mm? I plan to go the next size up from the biggest to avoid vignetting which is a problem I'm currently having using 37mm filters on the kit Oly lens at wide angles.

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think 58mm is the largest for Olympus, although I know the Panasonic 14-140mm uses 62mm.....

lsteere

Mu-43 Rookie
Yikes! 67mm is bigger than I was expecting. The next common size up from that looks like 72mm. I have a polarizer attached to my camera pretty much all the time, and while it might fit in my camera bag with that size filter attached, it would be really tight. I guess I'll have to rethink things a bit. Thanks for the info.

Real Name
Nic
It's unfortuneately a litle optimistic to be able to use one common filter size for all of your lenses without getting big mismatches between the filter and your smallest lenses. It's also not always possible to go more than one size above without getting interference if you want to use a bayonet-mount hood on the lens. Two or even three common sizes is a bit more reasonable. For my Canon DSLR gear I would use 58, 67, & 77mm filter sizes. For m4/3, and assuming that I would never get the 100-300mm, I'd be looking at 46, 52, and 62mm sizes. Even then, I don't know if the 46mm filter would work with the Olympus 14-42 lens when the hood was fitted.

lsteere

Mu-43 Rookie
It's unfortuneately a litle optimistic to be able to use one common filter size for all of your lenses without getting big mismatches between the filter and your smallest lenses. It's also not always possible to go more than one size above without getting interference if you want to use a bayonet-mount hood on the lens. Two or even three common sizes is a bit more reasonable. For my Canon DSLR gear I would use 58, 67, & 77mm filter sizes. For m4/3, and assuming that I would never get the 100-300mm, I'd be looking at 46, 52, and 62mm sizes. Even then, I don't know if the 46mm filter would work with the Olympus 14-42 lens when the hood was fitted.

Thanks for the info. Since many/most filters are threaded on the front couldn't I just get a lens hood that fits the filter?

Real Name
Nic
Yes, you can do that. It is only when you use the hoods that mount on the lens bayonet where using too large a filter can be an issue since the filter sits inside the hood. It the case you mention above the aftermarket hood will just screw onto the filter, although you are still left with the problem of making sure the hood you buy is appropriate for the lens.

MU43-guy

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been using my 72mm filters on my u4/3 lenses with step-down adapters without any issues. On some lenses it does look overkill (ie: on a 20mm pancake), but it gets the job done.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I use a few different steps. Usually 49mm filters for anything 49mm or smaller, 67mm for anything 67mm or smaller, and 77mm for anything 77mm or smaller. That way I don't have to buy too many filters, but at the same time don't have to go too huge on a lens that's so much smaller. I also like 55mm and 40.5mm threads.

Latest threads

Top Bottom