1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Large print for bathroom - what medium?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by TassieFig, Dec 1, 2015.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have finally decided to print one of my images and it's going up on the bathroom wall. I want it fairly big, about 100x70cm or so.

The bathroom is definitely quite humid so the material needs to be "weather" proof, at least. Being on a tight budget and with no experience of "modern" print materials I have no idea what the best options are (within my budget). My guess is metal, glass and acrylic are ideal but also very expensive. I'm sure there are a lot more to it than you'd think so any advice on "metal" and other suitable materials are welcome.

Harvey Norman got an offer for "metal" (100x75cm) for 150 AUD which is my absolute upper limit. Anyone with experience from HN? No real details except this:

"Metal Prints are made using an aluminium composite panel where your image is printed directly onto the front using a UV stabilised ink. This light yet durable material is less than 5mm thick"

I've read about protected canvas (varnish?) but how good are they? Any advice? Where to get it done (online or Oz store)

Also, looking for general advise on post processing in LR for prints on different materials. Less/more sharpening, saturation etc

Thanks

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I would go (and am planning to go) with an aluminum dibond (sandwich panel with aluminum facings and a composite core) direct printed product - they should be weather proof, like the 'Metal Print' you refer to above, and there are generally a variety of options. Either printed on a white base layer (so 'normal' looking), or with aluminum showing through all the white areas (often referred to as metal prints or metal look, brushed or otherwise), and which variety works best depends on your image. The places I've seen (Euro vendors) state direct print dibond products are suitable for indoor or outdoor use, so a bathroom should be fine. To date, I've only had shots mounted on dibond (photo paper with a matt laminate on the dibond panel, which look fantastic but aren't great for wet rooms.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've had a metal print in my bathroom for 5 years and it still looks great. Aluminum, so no worries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Regardless of which material you pick, one thing about the online print places is they are constantly running sales and promotions with coupons if you allow them to put you on their mailing lists. So what you do is ideally create an email address just for those, sign up for all the various printer's lists and then have your email app filter those into their own folder. That way you can normally ignore the folder when you don't have time to clear it out. While they will all send you something on almost a daily basis (hence the separate folder and filter), they do offer some amazing deals.

I recently purchased a pair of 16"x20" gallery wrapped canvas prints for a grand total of $35.70 shipped because of one of their promotional codes they emailed. That is less than $18 US for each one shipped to my door.

They often have promotions for other materials more suitable for your bathroom including slate, metal, and plastic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Hey, care to name a few of those Euro vendors?

I can't seem to find a vendor in Croatia that does metalic/aluminum prints, and most of the USA vendors charge an arm and a leg for shipping (or don't do shipping to EU).

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think Karl mentions an EU based printing lab in this video.

7. For a canvas print I might be more concerned about the wooden frame (which is usually just made from raw pine) and how it reacts to significant changes in moisture.

Fabness is a company that I've used before for large canvasses but I've always ordered during their sales where you'll get a 100x75 or 100x50 for less than $100. They seem to be having a 60% off sale at the moment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There are a lot of EU based vendors, many in Germany - I mostly use PosterXXL (.nl, .de , a few others as well probably) because they quite often have 30% or 50% off deals, Pixum, WhiteWall is a big name (German base) with a lot of options and good support for soft proofing, providing ICC profiles for pretty much all their products for those of us with a color calibrated workflow, but are a little more on the luxury end of the market. I also like ProFotoNet.nl (Dutch service), which is a smaller outfit and similarly professional, don't know if they ship overseas. And a quick google shows me several other services I've not used before.

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Go with $150 worth of printed towels instead, that way your image will really touch the people close to you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    In Europe I've had very good experiences with Saal-digital (German company). They provide ICC profiles for proofing and I've just recently printed a bunch of my concert photos on Alu-Dibond with brushed metal finish (they call it butler finish).