Large Format camera $99 ???

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    The Online Photographer has an article announcing a Kickstarter for a large format camera that is designed to sell for $99 U.S. :eek:

The Online Photographer: The Best-Selling LF Camera of the Millennium?

A pinhole lens is included, but it will accept a (user supplied) 90mm ƒ/6.8 Schneider Angulon which is a 28mm equivalent in 35mm camera body terms.

There will be a second model available that is designed for a Schneider Super Angulon 65mm ƒ/8 lens (again, not included with the camera body) that is a 20mm equivalent.

There's a link to the Kickstarter project in the T.O.P. article.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in either T.O.P. or the Travelwide Kickstarter project - other than I may pony up the $99 in yet another futile return to film :biggrin:.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Cool project. I haven't been in a darkroom for probably 20 years. Where do you go to get this format developed and printed?
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    By the time you buy the super angulon and a $99 camera, I think you'd be better off with one of the Fuji 6x9 rangefinders. There would be no film holders to carry (or load; if you're going to do it right you need a good, clean, dust free spot and compressed air to load film holders); and you'd have a very large negative indeed made with a very sharp lens. There's a Fuji GW690II on ebay right now for $499 buy it now. I have the small, GS645, and they're fun cameras to use, and the lenses are very good.

For me 4x5 was a tripod format using a monorail camera, but if you have you're heart set on hand held 4x5, this doesn't look bad. Don't forget, though, to check out old press cameras and the perfectly usable onld lenses made for them. You can get a Kodak Ektar 127mm cheap, and an old Burke and James would probably cost you a less less than a Speed Graphic.
  4. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    In Detroit, Woodward Camera can still, I believe, arrange developing and printing for this film. There are online labs that can handle the sheet film for those not fortunate enough to live in Detroit :biggrin:, such as Process One - Medium Format and 4x5 film processing and printing.

I think that the target audience would, perhaps, tend to develop their own and do contact prints. That would be my preference...which is one reason I haven't pulled the trigger. Setting up a dark room would be a project that I might find my heart not engaged in...I have enough problems trying to set up LightRoom :biggrin:.

5. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yep, the Fuji was brought up as an alternative. I think the TravelWide is aimed at those who would go 'hand held priority' and want to fool around with film holders and tinker and such.

I wouldn't bother with the lens at all - the pinhole would be my 'lens' of choice on such a toy. The part that holds me back is the developing - I really can't see me, at this stage of life, setting up a darkroom for contact prints. If only I were a young lad of 60 again...:biggrin:.

Like the 15mm body cap lens for the OM-D EM-5, there's not really a need for such a gadget...but it looks like fun, and $99 will get a seat in the game.

I've had an itch for a Speed Graphic for quite awhile. I try to hold those 'itches' in check - otherwise I would be awash in cool gear that never leaves the shelf. And single. :biggrin:. I gotta quit watching those old Film Noire programs!

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Cute! But by the time you add a viewfinder and a rangefinder and a lens... As someone said, GW690. There is something pleasantly hilarious about it. I've heard it referred to as an "oversized novelty clown camera":

Though as for the LF camera, I acutally think I've got a 90 Super Angulon in the basement somehwere...

Thanks for sharing the link!
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I was briefly tempted when I read about this, but in the end I'm just too used to the ease of shooting digital. (Every once in a while I imagine it would be a fun experience to get something like an old medium format TLR to shoot black and white film, but the thought of developing at home and scanning negatives brings me back to reality.)
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'm fortunate enough to have a local lab here that develops & prints 4x5 sheets...:smile:
  9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Just get a daylight tank and $35 worth of chemicals and you can shoot B+W till the cows come home. BTW, if anyones on ebay looking for lenses, Flutots will be a good resource for you to know as the shutters may need some repair or cleaning, SK Grimes if you have the dough and time.