Large aperture legacy glass

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by agentlossing, Aug 25, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What's a good - cheap - large aperture lens I might be able to find? I'm talking as cheap as may be found, as long as it's not awful. I used a fifty 1.8 in the past, but my current aperture abilities top out at f2.5. An f1.4 lens would be fun, maybe a fifty or thereabouts (open to other focal lengths). I don't have a specific need, I just like playing with legacy glass.

Maybe a Konica AR mount? Since it's the adapter I already own :p

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well I think you just answered your own question?

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Just don't pay the buy-it-now prices that seems to be up on fleabay atm on Konica 50mm and 57mm f1.4 lenses. I got a 57mm f1.4 for $AU50 last week. The only bidder too. But the Australian fleabay market can be weird at times...

4. swglera

swglera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013
    Konica

I have a Konica 50mm f 1,4 and it's a thing of beauty on my Oly EPL-1:

Attached Files:

5. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I have the Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.7 which wasn't expensive on eBay. Also the "no name" C-Mount CCTV 25mm f/1.4 which is interesting wide open (swirly Petzval style bokeh without the price tag, sharp and cleaner blur when stopped down) which is very cheap- $30 or so inc adapter.

6. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    It's almost impossible to go wrong with any of the fifties. I have a load of them and they all perform admirably. A Minolta Rokkor MC 1.4 58mm or Rokkor X 50mm 1.4 are great and relatively cheap.

7. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    The Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 is also available for a good price if you hunt around. I see a lot of them selling lens-only for $100, but sold in conjunction with a Canon AE-1 camera they go for like $50 (careful, it's often the 1.8 with the camera so be sure to check, but the 1.8 is also a great lens).

I know you already have the Konica adapter, but Canon FD adapters are cheap and it opens up a lot of good, inexpensive lens options for you.

8. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    +1.... Canon glass is great. I have a few FD's and four FL lenses. I especially love the FL lens look and feel. They ooze class.

9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The Hexanon 57/1.4 is sharp at f4 and f5.6. It is not very good at f1.4, 1.7, 2, or 2.4. F2.8 is not bad.

Here's the first shot I took with the lens. I'm sure I used around f5.6:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img407/7527/kopw.jpg
    (Basic compression Jpeg, sharpening and everything normal, no PP)

As far as I understand, a lot of the 1.8 lenses are sharper than the 1.4s.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree but don't dismiss the reputed quality of classic Konica Hexanon prime lenses.

The bottom line is, you usually can never go wrong with name brand lenses.. Unless we talking about Canon EOS mount lenses... when AF cam into play canon seemed to not care about maintaining the quality of any lens with their name on it, besides the 'L' line.
    However, within the Manual world, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Konica and Minolta, all made great Prime lenses and they are in abundance and can be found inexpensively.

I have no experience with, nor heard about Yashica, Topcon & Patrika brand prime Lenses tho.

11. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I don't know why you'd bother with all the 50mm lenses when there is Oly 45mm? Oly 45mm will beat most of the legacy glass as most of them are useless wide open. I own Minolta Rokkor MC 1.4 58mm and it's completely useless wide open for the portraits. If you want some sharpness in your image and not only soft glowing image then you'd need to stop to 2,0. Why bother then?

Right now I am hunting for the Jupiter 9 (85mm 2.0). I know it's not super fast BUT it is 85 mm which is much more interesting for portraits and will eventually give you a better background blur than all 50 mm 1,4-1,8 lenses. Actually Jupiter 9 is a poor mans Oly 75mm. A few sample shots can be found here - https://www.mu-43.com/f81/jupiter-9-85mm-f-2-0-image-thread-8805/. Also there are plenty of image samples over the web. The price of the lens here in Ukraine is around $70-100. Perhaps not the cheapest one, but hey, we speak about Oly 75 mm competitor :)

12. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David

Well some of us don't see any problems with the performance of old glass. I don't want or need hyper sharp images, although I get all the sharpness, contrast and detail I need from any of my 50mm lenses. The aperture ring on a lens is there for a reason. I use all the f stops. I like the craftsmanship and quality that older lenses can have. Show me a modern lens that feels and looks like an all metal Super Takumar, Rokkor, Konica Hexanon or Canon FL. Heavier lenses to a degree are not a bad thing when you have such a light camera. Having some weight for me helps to balance the camera in my hands.

As far as 85mm being a great length for portraits, 85mm was considered the standard for film. 85mm is approximately 170mm in the M43 world and I have never thought of that as a standard focal length for portraits. The images you linked to for the Jupiter are stunning though, but I wouldn't make blanket statements about the bokeh of all 50mm's being inferior to the Jupiter. That seems silly to me unless you have done exhaustive tests with all these lenses and the Jupiter.

Last but not least, why would I spend $400 on a Oly 45mm when I spent less than that on all the legacy 50's I have? With money left over for a Rokkor MD 85mm 1.7 etc. Much more fun IMO.:biggrin:

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    These lenses are by no means USELESS wide open. They may not be razor sharp and contrasty wide open, but in many cases that is a desirable effect - especially for portraiture. Swglera's portrait on the prior page illustrates this nicely. A razor sharp shot would have been less flattering when the subject is an older person.

And the fact that these legacy 50 to 58mm f1.4 lenses can be gotten for well under $100 makes them very useful even if that desired effect is only occasionally used.

One problem with the Oly 45mm f1.8 is that it does not throw the background out of focus as much as an f1.4 lens would - and in particular, a longer f1.4 lens would, or a faster than f1.4 lens would such as a Voigtlander Nokton or the newly announced Panasonic Nokticron would.

Also, I would offer another choice to consider:

I recently picked up a clean used Bell & Howell 85mm f1.4 lens for under $200. This same lens is also sold under the Bower, Samyang, Rokinon, Opteka, Vivitar Series 1 and ProSpec brands as well. It's actually sharp wide open - although the contrast improves when closed down one stop.

14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Manual focus lens allows control over aperture which can be important for video for those m43 bodies where you do not have that control on camera.

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Uh, because the 45mm costs ten times what a nifty fifty goes for?

• Like Like x 2
  16. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    Or more! A lot of my 50's worked out to between $10-$20. Cheap thrills.

17. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    From what I read on the web it seems that all legacy glass will produce ghosting and glow at 1.2-1.4 on the digital sensors. Also most of the legacy glass don't have enough resolution for such dense sensors as we have on OM-D and other micro 4/3 cameras. Anyway I am sort of biased about super fast legacy glass in digital world. That's why I am more interested in longer focal distances that would be sharp enough at least at 1.8-2.0.

I would also prefer to leave softening to the PP and get high res and sharp images at all working apertures.

18. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    Let your eyes do the evaluation not what is written on the web. see some of the images here on this site for example. Buy a decent 50mm and try it out. They are so cheap and plentiful you will be surprised by what you can do with it. A good 50mm on m43 is close to the perfect portrait lens IMO.

19. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm going to have to combat that resolution idea with some of the images I'm getting from the 28mm Konica Hexanon I just got... They're so sharp they're in danger of cutting my eyeballs. f3.5 isn't terribly sharp, but that's just a characteristic of this lens I think. It's plenty of indication that the resolution of this lens is better than any demands the sensor places on the lens.

20. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Don't believe everything you read. Especially by non-experts who mistakenly confuse their own opinions with facts.