1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Laptop screen info please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StephenB, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:50 PM.

1. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I'm looking for a budget laptop, just for very occasional use, I don't need much memory or any bells and whistles - what I do need is a 15"+ viewing screen that doesn't distort, darken or lighten the image I'm viewing. What screen definition is needed, please?. At the mo my travel pc is a notebook on Windows 7, the screen is terrible, as I never know what the image should look like, it darkens or lightens as I tilt it up or down. I have 2x24" IPS monitors (a Dell and a AOC) at home and they are fine for viewing pics.

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Problem with budget laptops is the screen is one of the first things to drop in quality, I got a used one though it was free on freecycle due to not booting past post (bad ram). If I was getting one for occasional use such as holidays etc I would look for one that is a year or two old on the used market as they seem to lose value big time. It would be worth look up some common models in your price range to see what is said about them in first reviews and if there have been a load of issues or a common fault. You need one with an IPS panel I am sure some reviews tell how much of the sRGB and Adobe RGB colour space they cover. Other things to check, can you easily replace the memory and hard drive, replacing an old spinning drive with a basic SSD can give a great jump in speed, some Lenovos can also take a second drive also.

• Like Like x 1
  3. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    Thanks for that info, it's certainly food for thought. I did fear that a decent screen would come at the higher end of the market. I will only be using it for 3 months a year when I'm not living at my home address, I shall do a bit of research.

4. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Have you checked that it isn't the brightness sensor that is switching the laptop between different brightness, depending on the amount of light that falls on it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    It's always been that way and I have just about edited with it, but it's old and is handy for emails and reading the papers but it needs to go and the screen is a bit small too. I like to check my pics out when I'm away, not necessarily edit them, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace it, hopefully I can find a good used one with IPS, more than likely I'll have to go new and fend off a salesperson's extras at PC World, but research will be needed as I want to make sure the screen is up to the job.

6. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Nelson, NZ
    David
    Rather than PC World, you may be better off looking at ex-lease laptops, which will be Dell, HP, Lenovo, and check the specs for those with an IPS screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    That's a good idea, I'll have a look at Dell to start, I assume I may get a bit of warranty too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.