Laptop requirements for gh4

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by nirok, Jul 13, 2015.

1. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Hey Guys, I have a laptop requiements question and I would love some of your insights...

I am planing to get a gh4/g7 and I need a new laptop for that, I am looking for something in 1000$ area. but my situation is this: I am not a professional and I don't do a lot of video, ,most of the time I will shoot and edit stills on the computer using Lightroom and Photoshop. but for time to time I will need to do some videos projects (using Premiere Pro cc and After Effect). I need a laptop that will be able to deal with the footage, I don't need a super buttery smooth speed, but I also don't want massive lagging and crashing, do I really must have quad core processor for that (like I read online)? or a good dual processor is fine? any recommendation? any experience to share?

Thanks in advance

2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    i7 is needed, and I would not go less than 16 gig memory (as fast as you can get). I'd also get a laptop cooler as 4k editing will take your processor to the max.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Do you want to edit 4k footage? It requires literally 4x the processing power vs 1080p. So that really ups the power requirement. If you are editing 1080p, then a high end dual core is good. 4k, even a quad core i7 is going to sweat.

4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Not really a job for a laptop...

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well, not for your average sub 1000 dollar laptop..

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    IDK, I'm able to edit the 4K footage from my GH4 in iMovie on my late 2014 MBP (13" retina, mid-tier processor & RAM).

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between your price point and what you are trying to do with it. FWIW - you will get more bang for the buck with a desktop vs. laptop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014