1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Laptop requirements for gh4

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by nirok, Jul 13, 2015.

1. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Hey Guys, I have a laptop requiements question and I would love some of your insights...

I am planing to get a gh4/g7 and I need a new laptop for that, I am looking for something in 1000$ area. but my situation is this: I am not a professional and I don't do a lot of video, ,most of the time I will shoot and edit stills on the computer using Lightroom and Photoshop. but for time to time I will need to do some videos projects (using Premiere Pro cc and After Effect). I need a laptop that will be able to deal with the footage, I don't need a super buttery smooth speed, but I also don't want massive lagging and crashing, do I really must have quad core processor for that (like I read online)? or a good dual processor is fine? any recommendation? any experience to share?

Thanks in advance

2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    i7 is needed, and I would not go less than 16 gig memory (as fast as you can get). I'd also get a laptop cooler as 4k editing will take your processor to the max.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you want to edit 4k footage? It requires literally 4x the processing power vs 1080p. So that really ups the power requirement. If you are editing 1080p, then a high end dual core is good. 4k, even a quad core i7 is going to sweat.

4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Not really a job for a laptop...

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well, not for your average sub 1000 dollar laptop..

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    IDK, I'm able to edit the 4K footage from my GH4 in iMovie on my late 2014 MBP (13" retina, mid-tier processor & RAM).

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between your price point and what you are trying to do with it. FWIW - you will get more bang for the buck with a desktop vs. laptop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014