Laptop recommendations

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
that was a very informative post - thank you. Made me look at the memory usage of my current desktop which has 16GB. Memory usage is about 25% just with firefox open. 32GB it will be in whatever system I choose. I'll look at Clevo computers and see what I can come up with. Thanks for that tip!

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I have maxxed out at 16 GB RAM.

I tend to have about 60-80 tabs open in Firefox all the time. It starts at about 6 GB RAM use, but creeps up to about 10-12 over a period of days. It is the least bad of the browsers I use on the machine (Edge, Chrome, Internet Explorer), but still a memory hog and leaks.

Bridge and Photoshop are fairly bad too.

All of these will cause a BSOD if left undealt with.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
that was a very informative post - thank you. Made me look at the memory usage of my current desktop which has 16GB. Memory usage is about 25% just with firefox open. 32GB it will be in whatever system I choose. I'll look at Clevo computers and see what I can come up with. Thanks for that tip!
If you like what you see from System76 and Clevo another brand that is doing something similar (though not as tight integration with Linux as System76) is Eurocom, they make very workstation oriented laptops that are highly configurable, very upgradable (some model offer socketed CPU, RAM, and GPU) and can be cheaper then other brands. But they won't have some bells and whistles like first-party laptops from Microsoft or Apple, for example, these are very much targeted for reliability and productivity (also not the most portable either):
https://eurocom.com/ec/modelsg(3)MobileWorkstations

Edit:
1595735696732.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've been editing about 10 pictures of 20 M.pickles and the only software open are Lightroom and VLC (playbacking 480p AVI file of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Seazon 7 - Episode 21 ... but nobody cares about that :p ) for about one hour and Lightroom was starting to choke ... RAM usage was significantly high because I was using my usual 1 brush filter adjustment for sharpening on the subject focus point or the DoF in focus area and 1-2 radial or gradual filter with noise reduction in the background/foreground or outside the DoF.
Having only one or two pieces of software in usage at the same time is quite a limitation for me when I prefer to multitask. I will have to wait until next year to build myself a desktop (haven't made one since 2015), just waiting for DDR5 (to get the 32GB density per stick), AM5 socket (to get more upgradibility down the line) and lower prices for PCI-Ex16 gen 4 M.2 storage (to handle small catalogue files at higher speeds) and more storage in general (8TB M.2 SSD finally showed up on the market but they are very price).

Last edited:
Dell Precision series laptops, even the old ones run photo editing software very well. If space is an issue but not budget I think Precision workstations are best for heavy load and they last long too - a common complaint against Windows laptops.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Smells like Asus ZenBook Pro Duo all over again ... and yet I am intrigued (don't worry, I'm not buying another one). Mini LED is the next level from OLED and I couldn't go back to IPS again (with dull grey and IPS glow) ... and then Windows f£*!ery with their HDR makes the whole situation problematic.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just like for my new desktop....Ryzen CPU and GPU with WiFi 6 and BT 5. Runs Linux Mint very well. Don't be limited to just Windows or MacOS on desktop or laptop.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
How much screen real estate do you need? I do almost all of my photo and video editing on a 27-inch iMac. It's a 2019 model with a six-core i5 chip, 64gb of RAM (there was an aftermarket sale) an AMD 580X GPU with 8gb and a 1tb SSD.

But you asked about laptops. Given what's on the market right now, I'd recommend a MacBook Pro - available in both 13-inch and 16-inch models - and with your choice of various processors, RAM and drives. I'd avoid a MacBook Air - performance is throttled because of heat issues and connectivity is skimpy.

Some people do a lot of photo editing on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. But I've never tried it.

If you're interested in Macs -- and you can wait a bit -- Apple will start bringing out laptops with its own ARM processors before the end of the year. They should outperform the Intel chips and work much cooler.

As you can tell, I'm an Apple guy. Among the PC brands, I recommend H-P.
I doubt seriously he would consider a Mac of any kind. He already stated he is a linux guy. Also the prices would scare him aways as well.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
You can use any kind of gaming computer. I use a 17in touch screen Razer Blade pro with crazy stats. But cast onto a larger monitor. You probably could do with less.

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for that comment!
I would consider a Mac, but I run linux on all my devices. And as for price, the beastie I have chosed will cost around 2 grand. That's what my phot-savings account is for!

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
So I've made a decision. System 76 Oryx pro.
17" monitor
6GB RTX 2060 Graphics (I can actually switch between this and a lesser graphic card that is in the processor for more mundane task)
Processor intel i7-10875H 8 core 16 threads
32GB DDR4 dual channel memory
1.5TB NVME memory
If that's not enough, I'n going back to film.
Cost is $2171.00, but there will be a sale this month I am told.

I chose this brand because it is designed specifically for Linux, Including their own OS based on Ubuntu that is geared toward grapic art and science work.
They also have an AMD version I am considering, less cost, but only a 15.6" monitor.
I will do my processing on a desktop mointor in any case.
Thanks for all t he input, each reply had an influence on my decision.
I really like this forum so far!

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
So I've made a decision. System 76 Oryx pro.
17" monitor
6GB RTX 2060 Graphics (I can actually switch between this and a lesser graphic card that is in the processor for more mundane task)
Processor intel i7-10875H 8 core 16 threads
32GB DDR4 dual channel memory
1.5TB NVME memory
If that's not enough, I'n going back to film.
Cost is $2171.00, but there will be a sale this month I am told.

I chose this brand because it is designed specifically for Linux, Including their own OS based on Ubuntu that is geared toward grapic art and science work.
They also have an AMD version I am considering, less cost, but only a 15.6" monitor.
I will do my processing on a desktop mointor in any case.
Thanks for all t he input, each reply had an influence on my decision.
I really like this forum so far!
Sounds like a good decision, spec wise should hold up well for about 4 years, possibly more if you are not making a significant jump in file size/resolution within that time span. If you don’t plan on gaming and/or video rendering a GTX 1650 or 1660 is more then enough for photo editing, most editors don’t use GPU powered sufficiently or efficiently enough to justify a higher GPU class.
One little note, if you can go with AMD, as the current state on tech, I would advise you to do so because AMD Ryzen 4700H trumps all over Intels offerings both per clock, per Watts and in multitasking (and he reason for that is while on desktop Intel can stretch its legs at over 200W TDP!!! in extended usage and beat most AMD’s offerings on laptops constraint power usage AMD offers better performance and even battery life because Intel has pushing to high core density at 14nm (ad infinity +s). It’s the reason why I didn’t get i9 9880HK on mine and stuck with 6 core 12 threads i7 9750H (I get 4.5 GHz all cores under 100 C undervolted with -125 mV while the 8 core 1 thread, from reviews and average user usages, stays at 3.2 GHz all cores AND hitting 100 C thermal limit more often then not even undervolted).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
If I were to buy a non-Apple laptop today (not that I’m really considering one, I just use Apple stuff mostly), it would be a Ryzen 4000 series laptop. Until Intel gets their node issues sorted out, Ryzen 4000 mobile is the way to go. Efficient 8 cores/16 threads.
and the only software open are Lightroom and VLC (playbacking 480p AVI file of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Seazon 7 - Episode 21 ... but nobody cares about that
I wouldn’t say nobody...

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
If I were to buy a non-Apple laptop today (not that I’m really considering one, I just use Apple stuff mostly), it would be a Ryzen 4000 series laptop. Until Intel gets their node issues sorted out, Ryzen 4000 mobile is the way to go. Efficient 8 cores/16 threads.

I wouldn’t say nobody...
I was hopeful you might take notice :p.
Until Intel can actually get it’s act together it will get left behind and the lastest news being that their 7nm is going to be delayed to 2023 and Intel is trying to outbuy TSMCs production capacity out of AMDs boots to curb the high demand of their CPUs things don’t look good for Intel.
Another kick in the butt was Apple dropping Intel x64 architecture for ARM mobile design. If I was an Apple user I would not upgrade any Apple laptop or Desktop until they, Apple, have fully transitioned to ARM software architecture because of compatibility and performance transition between x86/64 and RISK code. Don’t trust marketing, wait for user experience and professional reviews to tell the truth. For those who went through this when Apple transitioned from IBM Power PC to Intel x86 will remember how painful and expensive it was.
While they, Apple, promise low power usage and high performance I would not get to comfortable to ARM architecture being able to surpass the heavy multitasking performance of Intel and AMD, at least not yet (2020 to 2023).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I was hopeful you might take notice :p.
Until Intel can actually get it’s act together it will get left behind and the lastest news being that their 7nm is going to be delayed to 2023 and Intel is trying to outbuy TSMCs production capacity out of AMDs boots to curb the high demand of their CPUs things don’t look good for Intel.
Another kick in the butt was Apple dropping Intel x64 architecture for ARM mobile design. If I was an Apple user I would not upgrade any Apple laptop or Desktop until they, Apple, have fully transitioned to ARM software architecture because of compatibility and performance transition between x86/64 and RISK code. Don’t trust marketing, wait for user experience and professional reviews to tell the truth. For those who went through this when Apple transitioned from IBM Power PC to Intel x86 will remember how painful and expensive it was.
While they, Apple, promise low power usage and high performance I would not get to comfortable to ARM architecture being able to surpass the heavy multitasking performance of Intel and AMD, at least not yet (2020 to 2023).
I do all my edits on the 2020 iPad Pro. I’m not terribly worried about needing something much faster than that. I use the iPad almost exclusively everyday. I’m excited to see what Apple does in the future, if for nothing but the novelty.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I do all my edits on the 2020 iPad Pro. I’m not terribly worried about needing something much faster than that. I use the iPad almost exclusively everyday. I’m excited to see what Apple does in the future, if for nothing but the novelty.
I guess it depends on how high can you afford the iPad Pro. Given that there’s no access to storage and only one USB C port it may be a hurdle to handle the dongle life to transfer from memory card to storage and then to backup. I just edited a few images with my 2017 iPad 32GB and I can’t say it was fun, can’t do panorama stitching, can’t do focus stacking for macro, I need to be careful about how many local edits I do ... it might be easier for you I guess.
But then depends on how heavy multitasker you are (using a browser, 2 chat windows, versatility of playing desktop PC games, watching videos and or YouTube).
I am curious where all of this will lead down the road in the next 10-20 years.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I guess it depends on how high can you afford the iPad Pro. Given that there’s no access to storage and only one USB C port it may be a hurdle to handle the dongle life to transfer from memory card to storage and then to backup. I just edited a few images with my 2017 iPad 32GB and I can’t say it was fun, can’t do panorama stitching, can’t do focus stacking for macro, I need to be careful about how many local edits I do ... it might be easier for you I guess.
But then depends on how heavy multitasker you are (using a browser, 2 chat windows, versatility of playing desktop PC games, watching videos and or YouTube).
I am curious where all of this will lead down the road in the next 10-20 years.
I’m mostly retired from gaming. Largely due to the lack of time. Affinity Photo for iPadOS is quite powerful for the additional edits you are talking about. My wife is a many-tab browser, and she seems to do okay with the base iPad. I know it’s not for everyone, but i’ve really had no complaints about it.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well, my Dell xps15 just locked up during a Zoom meeting with my bank manager. Continued on the iPad with the meeting. Nothing responded so pulled the plug, put down the lid and left it. Laptop keyboard lit up, nothing else apart from led on power lead. Almost ready to return it to John Lewis, still under warranty. Looking at upgrades, new xps17” with 32gb and a larger ssd hd. Read a lot of complaints about the model, plus a few work arounds. Wife asked if it was working, I told her to turn it on. Nothing, told her to keep the on button pressed for 10 secs, release and press once. It has come back to life. Must download all photos to my new ext HD.

Latest threads

Top Bottom