Laptop recommendations

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Yeah, external storage/backups are a great idea for sure, especially with laptops. Time Machine is one of the best things on MacOS, as you just leave an external drive plugged in, give Time Machine control of at least a partition on it, and you’re all set. If your Mac dies, just plug your Time Machine drive into your new Mac and tell it to set up from your backup. When it’s all done, it’s like you never missed a beat. Apple does something similar with iCloud Backup on iOS devices. If you get a new iPhone or iPad, restore it from backup and everything is there when it’s done. Apple really makes setting up a new device amazingly painless.

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
You have me thinking. I prefer AMD anyway
System 76 also has one they call Serval
Graphics GTX 1660
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Or Ryzen 7 6600
32 GB memory
500GB NvMe drive (OS drive)
1 TB NvMe drive ( photo storage)
With room for yet another drive
Battery life is a lot longer. Smaller screen but I would work around that
It'd save me about $300.00

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
Linux mint has a similar feature as well. Although I back my system up to another drive rather than the cloud.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
You have me thinking. I prefer AMD anyway
System 76 also has one they call Serval
Graphics GTX 1660
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Or Ryzen 7 6600
32 GB memory
500GB NvMe drive (OS drive)
1 TB NvMe drive ( photo storage)
With room for yet another drive
Battery life is a lot longer. Smaller screen but I would work around that
It'd save me about $300.00
I would not go with anything less than the 4000 series on Ryzen mobile. It was a major step forward in power and efficiency versus the mobile 3000 series. You’ll see much better performance and battery life with something like the 4700U or 4800U.

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you Ryzen 7 6600 it is then.
It's funny I have built all of the desktops I have ever owned. I used to keep up with all the changes in hardware, but got away from it because of other responsibilities. It's incredible how much things have changedind just five or six years!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Thank you Ryzen 7 6600 it is then.
It's funny I have built all of the desktops I have ever owned. I used to keep up with all the changes in hardware, but got away from it because of other responsibilities. It's incredible how much things have changedind just five or six years!
There is no Ryzen 7 6600 (at least not for several more years), maybe you mean 4600?

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
It took a while but I have my new setup. This computer is designed to be more of a mobile desktop rather than a traditional laptop, and this is what I was looking for. They designed it around AMD Ryzen desktop processors, not the laptop processor. So for a laptop, it's bigger, quite a bit heavier than most, but MAN does it have some guts to work with! It blows away my current tower computer, and if my wife gets ahold of this system and plays with it, I'm afraid I will have to buy a second one! my only complaint is battery life is about an hour. I talked to their tech support and they said yes it would be much shorter than their other systems, but this was designed as a mobile desktop so that would be expected.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I incorporated many of them in my decision.

If you're interested
System76 (designed specifically for us linux nerds)
Model Serval WS
Processor: Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core, 16 threads
Graphics: GTX 1660 6GB
Memory: 32 GB ddr4
Drives: 500GB NVMe and 1TB NVMe

So far I have really noticed a difference in how Darktable and RAWTherapee respond during processing and saving. It's almost instant. My desktop definitely has to 'chew' on things before saving.
I also took advantage of a bonus and got a new monitor - but that will be a whole 'noter thread, as I have a lot of questions about what I'm now seeing.
Next stop: figure out a consistent workflow for my PP. I still open an image and sit there staring "where do I start....??"

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
It took a while but I have my new setup. This computer is designed to be more of a mobile desktop rather than a traditional laptop, and this is what I was looking for. They designed it around AMD Ryzen desktop processors, not the laptop processor. So for a laptop, it's bigger, quite a bit heavier than most, but MAN does it have some guts to work with! It blows away my current tower computer, and if my wife gets ahold of this system and plays with it, I'm afraid I will have to buy a second one! my only complaint is battery life is about an hour. I talked to their tech support and they said yes it would be much shorter than their other systems, but this was designed as a mobile desktop so that would be expected.

If you're interested
Model Serval WS

So far I have really noticed a difference in how Darktable and RAWTherapee respond during processing and saving. It's almost instant. My desktop definitely has to 'chew' on things before saving.
I also took advantage of a bonus and got a new monitor - but that will be a whole 'noter thread, as I have a lot of questions about what I'm now seeing.
Next stop: figure out a consistent workflow for my PP. I still open an image and sit there staring "where do I start....??"
By the looks of it you, indeed, got yourself a monster :p
With upgradable 4x RAM slots for up to 64GB, 2.5" drive and one nVME drive should give you up to 4 TB storage (the SATA drive is 7mm thick, it won't fit higher than 2TB mechanical drives) and by the look of the cooling, I think the CPU is bloody AM4 slotted upgradable so you should be able to upgrade it yourself too (but you should be careful about the TDP limit for the cooling and the 180 W limited power supply) (and because it doesn't have the mobile H designation for the CPU, but fully unlocked X ).
The battery life is because it's 62 Whr battery in it (because the cooling is so massive there's not a lot of room for a bigger battery), also the CPU is fully desktop class so it runs on higher voltage so it uses more juice (also looser binning quality).
The laptop is basically a desktop replacement work station, it's made for semi-mobility. (I know the feeling, my laptop is not as powerful as yours but at 2.5 kgs, 3 kgs fully packed, it's less portable but more capable than a 1.5 kg 99 Whr ultra-book).

PS. You can extend battery life a bit if you undervolt the CPU a little bit (give you 10-20 minutes more maybe).
You will find your workflow with a bit of time, just play with it until you feel the process is right for you (for me it has been Adobe Lightroom 95% of the time, even with local adjustment edits).

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
By the looks of it you, indeed, got yourself a monster :p
With upgradable 4x RAM slots for up to 64GB, 2.5" drive and one nVME drive should give you up to 4 TB storage (the SATA drive is 7mm thick, it won't fit higher than 2TB mechanical drives) and by the look of the cooling, I think the CPU is bloody AM4 slotted upgradable so you should be able to upgrade it yourself too (but you should be careful about the TDP limit for the cooling and the 180 W limited power supply) (and because it doesn't have the mobile H designation for the CPU, but fully unlocked X ).
The battery life is because it's 62 Whr battery in it (because the cooling is so massive there's not a lot of room for a bigger battery), also the CPU is fully desktop class so it runs on higher voltage so it uses more juice (also looser binning quality).
The laptop is basically a desktop replacement work station, it's made for semi-mobility. (I know the feeling, my laptop is not as powerful as yours but at 2.5 kgs, 3 kgs fully packed, it's less portable but more capable than a 1.5 kg 99 Whr ultra-book).

PS. You can extend battery life a bit if you undervolt the CPU a little bit (give you 10-20 minutes more maybe).
You will find your workflow with a bit of time, just play with it until you feel the process is right for you (for me it has been Adobe Lightroom 95% of the time, even with local adjustment edits).
I don't think my wallet is going to recover from this and a monitor purchase for any upgrades for a while! I have a dedicated saving account for camera stuff, and I think I'm where I want to be for a while. But yeah, it is a beast.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
I don't think my wallet is going to recover from this and a monitor purchase for any upgrades for a while! I have a dedicated saving account for camera stuff, and I think I'm where I want to be for a while. But yeah, it is a beast.
It's better to have the options there and not need them now then to not have them there and be screwed later *cough* Apple machines *cough* :p
And even better is that later if you do want to do a few upgrades they are going to get cheaper with time (DDR5 will come out next year and it eventually push down the prices of DDR4 even more, Ryzen Zen 2 aka 4xxx for desktop is slated to be out this October and it will come wihh even better frequencies and single core performance, and SSDs have finally broken the 2TB barrier but they are stupidly expensive for now but should go down in price in the near future).
Good idea on a dedicated camera stuff savings account, I should make one, probably a piggy bank with hopefully 2.000 £ worth of coins (that should be enough to get banned from Clifton Cameras :p).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide

If you're interested
Model Serval WS

Yeah, it’s what used to be called a DTR, or desktop replacement. The battery life will be terrible since it’s not using mobile parts, so everything uses more power to provide desktop-class performance. As long as cooling is sufficient, you won’t have to deal with thermal limits that cause sustained-load performance to decline as much as they do on ultrabooks. The positive way to look at it is that your system has a built-in 1 hour backup power supply. :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Yeah, it’s what used to be called a DTR, or desktop replacement. The battery life will be terrible since it’s not using mobile parts, so everything uses more power to provide desktop-class performance. As long as cooling is sufficient, you won’t have to deal with thermal limits that cause sustained-load performance to decline as much as they do on ultrabooks. The positive way to look at it is that your system has a built-in 1 hour backup power supply. :)
I fully agree ... and even better: it comes with a sweet ass 15-inch screen at 120 Hz for free :p (sort of). But it's still amazing how small, light, and compact it is ... compared to 3-4-year-old desktop replacements like Alienware, Acer and MSI used to make (3 to 5 kgs, 30 minutes battery life and thicker than a MikeyD triple burger :p)
1599961762188.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom