Laowa 9mm f/2.8 - any owners?

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
So this lens has been out for a while but I haven’t found reviews of it on MFT. I’ve tried the 7.5mm f/2 but as a pixel peeper, I felt there were too many compromises in the edges and corners in terms of resolution/vignetting/distortion. It left the impression that it was too ambitiously designed (small + light + super wide + wide aperture) at the expense of even optical performance. The 9mm seems like it would be much more even across the frame given its specs and it being originally designed for a larger imaging circle. I’ll probably order the 9mm for my upcoming trip but was wondering if anyone here owns the lens and what your impressions are. Thanks!

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
Last edited:

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks. I saw those but couldn’t find a review specifically for the MFT mount version.

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
I think possibly. For example, reviews of the Rokinon 12mm on APS-C generally find it’s an average performer on the borders but the MFT version review I’ve read says it’s sharp corner-to-corner. I suppose generally the MFT version performs better because it uses a center crop of the imaging circle, but some lenses have a wavy resolution characteristic where the midframe is weak.

StanS

Mu-43 Regular
Crawley, West Sussex UK / Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Are you sure that you haven't been looking at samples of a decentered Laowa 7.5mm? I do not have the lens myself, but I do remember that shortly after its release there was an issue of many of the first copies being decentered and having woeful sharpness in the corners, even at higher apertures. The normal lens apparently has a much better performance.

Of course, it might be the case that you just have a much higher standard for sharpness than I do.

Just received this little gem of a lens but having an issue with it's infinity focusing ability, or lack of, between my 2 MFT cameras. When mounted on my E-PL7 infinity focusing is possible, albeit the infinity marking is way short of reaching the "hard stop". On my GX9, it won't even focus when the focus ring is turned all the way to the stop. ??? Don't have this issue with any other MF lenses.

Love the images this lens can produce, but it must be able to focus properly on all my bodies. And yes, it will be returned/exchanged soon.

Infinity on E-PL7 ....
Laowa9.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Interesting and...odd.
Do you have another manual focus lens that you can test to see if a particular focus distance comes up at a different mark on the barrel depending on which camera it's on?

Interesting and...odd.
Do you have another manual focus lens that you can test to see if a particular focus distance comes up at a different mark on the barrel depending on which camera it's on?
Yes, several, and they all will focus to infinity. My Laowa 17f1.8 shows similar difference as the 9f2.8, but at least it will focus to infinity on my GX9, whereas the 9f2.8 won't. :hmmm:

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, several, and they all will focus to infinity. My Laowa 17f1.8 shows similar difference as the 9f2.8, but at least it will focus to infinity on my GX9, whereas the 9f2.8 won't. :hmmm:
Does a non-Laowa lens show a difference in the indicated distance (from the scale on the lens) from camera to camera when focused at the same physical distance?

What I'm getting at is that there may be a difference in the sensor to flange distance between the two cameras.

Latest threads

Top Bottom