Laowa 10mm F2.0 C&D-Dreamer, MFT-lens.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku

I want this lens, want it! I don't need it as I have the 9-18mm, and have to resist GAS. :(

I thought wide-angle lenses were hard to design small for M43, and this being the reason for the lack of 10mm prime from Pana & Oly. This is the size of four oreos, and Venus' smallest MFT lens.

2-1200x675.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I want this lens, want it! I don't need it as I have the 9-18mm, and have to resist GAS. :(

I thought wide-angle lenses were hard to design small for M43, and this being the reason for the lack of 10mm prime from Pana & Oly. This is the size of four oreos, and Venus' smallest MFT lens.

I see from your signature that you already have a fair few lenses. What's one more to add to the list? I look forward to your post in the What did you buy this week regarding this lens :)

PS this one's even small enough to sneak past the financial controller.

It will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the wide-angle zooms. I didn't like the IQ of the Olympus 9-18mm, but I did like the size of it. If the IQ of this lens is better than that, Laowa has created something really nice (especially with the electronic contacts and all that!).

It's just that I prefer to buy used, and it will take some time before these hit the used market...

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just wait until they are done ripping off early adopters. I bet come march this thing can be had for 300€/$, which is a really nice price.

I am curious if it will work well for my underwater stuff, but I would have to 3d print a focus gear and go on a dive all within the return time, because I would have no need for this lens otherwise. I'm happy with the 8-18 topside, but looking for something smaller for UW, especially something that fits a smaller domeport.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
I look for photos that would suit this lens. I even started to think I had it already. I'll buy it rather than the pl 10-25 f1.8 I was dreaming about - for maybe a $2,000 CDN savings.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
From another translation: 5 bladed diaphragm.

Only 5 aperture blades is the reason I will most likely pass. Here is a photo I captured from a video Peter Forsgård posted online, UGLY! But he never mentions it. Why didn't they use 7 blades like the 7.5mm f2?

Loawa 5 blade ugly brokeh.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Initial official price tags in first two local shops $585 (with today exchange rate). This is $100 above "official $ price + local VAT" and about 2.5× of what I payed for my "primary gun" M.Z 17/1.8 and interestingly the same as refurbished M.Z 12/2 directly from Olympus. Quite bad price/value ratio. But I still want it so bad. Have to wait for better offer.

If you live in a place where you don't have import duties or VAT, you can get it directly from Laowa webstore for 399USD. They have free wordlwide shipping.

Here in Europe this price is likely to turn into equivalent amount of euros. And then some. Laowa UK is currently advertizing this lens for £399 which is around 535USD or 440€ (+ shipping) but VAT is included. In hindsight UK was a very bad choice for their European webstore.

If price is creeping closer to half a grand, it's outright expensive for a Chinese non-branded manual focus lens but price could be justified if it's extremely fast and has stellar optical quality. (spoiler alert: it's not and it doesn't have)

I would still buy one instantly if price drops to 250€ or so because 10mm or less is the only focal length that is still missing from my kit but it would see only very occasional use.

Last edited:

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Given how often I shoot very wide with my u43 gear, my Oly 9-18 is good enough for me. But this new Laowa still seems like a nice piece for the price.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yep. This looks like a nice lens, but the price will have to drop below 300 and I'm sure it will. I'm a patient buyer (still patiently waiting for my GX8 successor...).

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yep. This looks like a nice lens, but the price will have to drop below 300 and I'm sure it will. I'm a patient buyer (still patiently waiting for my GX8 successor...).
One question, why? The 7.5 is still at much the same price as when released. In my country anyway. It's (the 10mm) hardly expensive now. I bought mine direct off their website.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the wide-angle zooms. I didn't like the IQ of the Olympus 9-18mm, but I did like the size of it. If the IQ of this lens is better than that, Laowa has created something really nice (especially with the electronic contacts and all that!).

It's just that I prefer to buy used, and it will take some time before these hit the used market...
I have the PL8-18 as well, and I honestly can't see any difference in colour, contrast, sharpness etc between the PL@10mm, and the little Laowa. I think it's an outstanding little lens for the money. Mine goes everywhere with me, without a second thought. Something I definitely can't say about the bigger 8-18. The 8-18 still has its place, when we're finally allowed to holiday/travel interstate and internationally, it's my favourite travel lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom