Showcase Laowa 10mm f/2

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Freaking cool little lens. Punches well above its size & weight
Chev nat 3qr rear.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Chev nat fr.jpg
Chev nat qr fr.jpg
Impala.jpg
orange.jpg
red & blu.jpg
red.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Couple more. A very nice Sunbeam Tiger MkI, with the Ford 260 cuber V8. And a bike. And some randoms
Sunbeam Tiger.jpg
wide ride.jpg
Nash 2.jpg
BelAir.jpg
Sunbeam 2.jpg

Real Name
Mike
Keep 'em coming.

I took mine on a day trip hiking recently. Took some pictures, though no showstoppers. But that's from weakness of photographer first and subject material in distant second, with gear not being a limiting factor. :whistling:

P1040496.jpg

P1040575.jpg

P1040579.jpg

Real Name
Mike
Spent half of my half a day off at a trail/park with another falls, this one closer to home (20 mins).

P1040689.jpg

P1040728.jpg

P1040757.jpg

I should probably return with a tripod and ND filter, though the shorter-exposure shots I think I do like more. :hmmm:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm going to shoot a whole event with my little matchbox lens one day. Simply great fun to shoot.
dumped-2.jpg

proud.jpg

T-light.jpg

Fairlane.jpg

crowd.jpg

blu.jpg

blu-2.jpg

XT-wag-fr.jpg

GT.jpg

red-XT.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got asked by a couple of bystanders, why I was shooting so close to the tail lights of the cars. They were absolutely blown away when I showed them that I was actually framing the whole car most of the time :)

Very cool. :) Maybe a tip about the settings you used: you will get a better result if you shoot at base ISO (ISO 200), rather than ISO 100. The skies will be less blown out. (And you would of course get even better results if you exposed for the highlights while shooting RAW, and then raising the shadows in post if needed. But I don't know whether that's a workflow you'd like to have. In any case, switching to ISO 200 is a quick win, with no disadvantages.)

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very cool. :) Maybe a tip about the settings you used: you will get a better result if you shoot at base ISO (ISO 200), rather than ISO 100. The skies will be less blown out. (And you would of course get even better results if you exposed for the highlights while shooting RAW, and then raising the shadows in post if needed. But I don't know whether that's a workflow you'd like to have. In any case, switching to ISO 200 is a quick win, with no disadvantages.)
Nah. ISO 100 gives better, cleaner results (possibly slightly less noise when cranking shadows) with the later 20MP sensors. As far as I can tell anyway. Pretty sure I've seen it actually tested somewhere. I'm 99.9% sure there's no penalty to shooting ISO 100. I'm happy to be proven wrong though :)

Edit -I should add, that I unscientifically tested it with my GX8, & couldn't pick any difference. You do have me curious now though, next time I'm out, I'll try both with my G9, (100 & 200) & see if I can see any difference when post processing :)

Last edited:
Nah. ISO 100 gives better, cleaner results with the later 20MP sensors. As far as I can tell anyway. Pretty sure I've seen it actually tested somewhere. I'm 99.9% sure there's no disadvantage to shooting ISO 100. I'm happy to be proven wrong though :)
Depends on what you mean by "cleaner". Cleaner shadows: of course. The camera overexposes by a stop, and then pulls back the brightness by a stop in the JPEG. So shadows will indeed be cleaner, and at the same time there's a higher risk of blowing out the highlights (and indeed in several of your shots, the highlights are blown out). Like everything in photography, it's a tradeoff: do you want details in the shadows, or in the highlights? If you say "I only care about the cars, and don't worry about the skies being blown out", then using ISO 100 is totally valid (except that some reflections are blown out as well; but again it's up to you to make the tradeoff).

I wasn't trying to start an argument here. Just a friendly tip in case you weren't aware. Enjoy shooting with your awesome lens and please keep sharing sample images. :)

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Depends on what you mean by "cleaner". Cleaner shadows: of course. The camera overexposes by a stop, and then pulls back the brightness by a stop in the JPEG. So shadows will indeed be cleaner, and there's a higher risk of blowing out the highlights (and indeed in several of your shots, the highlights are blown out). Like everything in photography, it's a tradeoff: do you want details in the shadows, or in the highlights? If you say "I only care about the cars, and don't worry about the skies being blown out", then using ISO 100 is totally valid (except that some reflections are blown out as well; but again it's up to you to make the tradeoff).

I wasn't trying to start an argument here. Just a friendly tip in case you weren't aware. Enjoy shooting with your awesome lens and please keep sharing sample images. :)
No worries man. No offense taken, I'm happy to get a few pointers. I actually edited my post a little bit between replies. Cheers

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A few more I've processed

Tuff.jpg

Tuff-2.jpg

sleek.jpg

white-XT.jpg

silver-rocket-2.jpg

yellow.jpg

Cass.jpg

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Friday was a good night

lights (1 of 1)-8.jpg

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
Picked up this lens as a light landscape lens

I did a backyard test against the O12mm, O9-18mm and the P8-18mm. Set both zooms @ 11mm. Base ISO, aperture set to 4.5, and on a sturdy tripod

All were fine in the center. The Laowa was best in the corners with the Panny a close second. The O12mm was fine with the Oly zoom coming in last. I print 12x16 and would probably be able to pick out the 9-18mm but I doubt I could discern between the others..

I still have some learning regarding the manual focus but it is a great little tool for landscapes..

regards
Dogbert62

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom