Showcase Laowa 10mm f/2

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
tilting windmaills.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
transformers.jpg
stumped.jpg
slope.jpg
flooded.jpg
progress.jpg

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing I keep forgetting to mention, on my G9, in aperture mode the lens seems to overexpose between 1/3 to one full stop for some reason. When stopped down a bit. In manual mode, it's spot on. What you see is exactly what you get. No idea why, pretty easy to work around, if you need to use aperture mode. Just thought I'd mention it.

These shots are really making me very tempted ... but I wonder if I'd prefer the fish eye .....

Alan_N

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Alan
I have been thinking about this lens since I saw a YouTube video about it early December. Trying to decide between this and the Olympus 12mm. I can pick up a second hand 12mm cheaper. But on the flip side the 10mm fits in with my other primes 15, 20, 25.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I'm not sure if this should be put into the Rumours-section thread or here, so mods can move it if necessary.

Opticallimits give the lens 4/5 stars for each of the three sections.

"Verdict

The Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D MFT is a fun lens that also has the capability of delivering some serious results. In terms of optical performance is shines with a very high resolution straight from f/2 and it's darn sharp at f/4. As the name implies, it is a fully distortion-corrected lens - which is a rare quality in mirrorless land. And this raises the question of why Olympus/Panasonic can't do the same here. The high corner quality can also be contributed to the fact that distortion correction isn't necessary at all. That being said, auto-correction DOES help when it comes to vignetting. The raw vignetting is on the extreme side at f/2 so unless you are after a keyhole effect you should keep it activated. Even so - some obvious vignetting remains at f/2. Lateral CAs are pretty low and nothing to worry about. Flare can be an issue in extreme lighting situations. If you are after sun stars - yes, the lens can give you these in qualifying scenes when stopping down and the quality is good. We haven't executed a formal analysis of the bokeh but as you can see in the sample image section, the out-of-focus blur is pretty smooth. This is a rather rare quality in an ultra-wide lens.

The Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D MFT is a tiny and super-lightweight lens. This doesn't mean that the build quality is suffering - on the contrary, it is actually very good. The lens body is made of metal and the focusing is smooth. There is no weather-sealing though. Unlike early Laowa offerings, the lens is fully coupled thus you can select the aperture on the camera rather than on the lens. EXIF data is also provided. However, you still have to live with manual focusing only. Given the ultra-wide nature of the lens, this shouldn't be a big deal for most users at least.

We quite enjoyed our time with this little marvel also because it highlights what's cool about the Micro-Four-Thirds system - a nice size factor combined with low weight. It may not be perfect in every optical aspect but if you are after a fast ultra-wide lens that doesn't go bonkers in terms of field-of-view, you should have a deeper look."

https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1104-laowa10f2mft

Real Name
Mike
Along those lines, Digital Camera World also has a review:
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/laowa-10mm-f2-zero-d-review

Our Verdict
This is a brilliant ultra-wide prime for Micro Four Thirds photographers who like their prime lenses small. The f/2.0 maximum aperture is impressive in a 20mm equivalent lens and the in-built electronics bring automatic manual focus aids and aperture control. It could be just a little sharper at the edges, but that's a small complaint. This is a terrific little MFT lens at a terrific little price.

Here are my 10mm findings thus far:
  • Sharper than the 9mm 2.8 wide open
  • Slightly different rendering character (I like more)
  • Awesome close focusing distance
  • Pressing an assigned button for peaking isn't needed (if enabled, but will double-check)
  • Will respect magnify settings (mine off and assigned to a button)
  • Hood design has been seriously improved with a very nice "click"
  • Lens cap needs to be replaced with a better pinch cap
From a UX standpoint, an MFT manual lens like the 10mm with contacts is addictive. Where manual focus on an AF lens is used to correct autofocus misses, it's a great balance between speed and camera engagement. Again, Laowa is onto something with its inclusion into the MFT consortium.

Hoping to also post a few shots to share soon.
Finally a few test pics from a quick stroll in the park today. SOOC SuperFine JPEG.

P2060788.JPG
P2060789.JPG
P2060783.JPG
P2060787.JPG

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Mine arrived Friday. I was playing around with it this morning.

50919378278_c23620652c_o.jpg

The Crocus Jungle, Bug's Eye View 1

50920200957_88cf962371_o.jpg

The Crocus Jungle, Bug's Eye View 3

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
This is how I like wide angle lenses being used. Getting really close. Large vistas looks mostly better with longer FLs, IMHO.
FYI: The first image was framed for that wide “stand” of blooms and focused with the focusing ring, but wasn’t at minimum focal distance. For the second image, the lens was set to minimal focal distance and focused by moving the camera. Minimum focal distance was a couple of inches beyond the end of the lens.

Real Name
Mike
Jumped on the bandwagon too.

P1030727.jpg

Hopefully one of these days I'll find the time and figure out how to take test shots to update lensfun for distortion (well, it doesn't need much help there), TCA (again, not that bad natively), and vignetting correction. The above is uncorrected at 1/800 | ISO 200 | f/7.1 so that's fine. Vignetting at larger apertures uncorrected is an issue.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Not as clear as I'd like, and a quarter moon lit the scene.
stek (1 of 1).jpg

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Straight out of the camera.
dawn (1 of 1).jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Lemonade.jpg
rocky.jpg

Real Name
Deryck
Just placed an order for one, 356 speedster replica that is, not the Laowa. Still very tempted with this lens. If I didn't have the 7.5 I wouldn't hesitate. Do I really need something between the L7.5 and PL15?

Electronics_Dr

New to Mu-43
I purchased this lens almost the moment it came out. Then, it languished in my camera bag. Just got out today and started to use it. It's quite sharp, and fun to use. It's nice that it communicates so well with the camera. So far, on its initial outing, the Laowa 10mm is a joy.
Cement Causeway 3.19.21.jpeg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom