Laowa 10mm f/2 Firmware Fault

Variable

Mu-43 Rookie
Agreed, the distortion can appear very subtle, depending on the previously-mounted lens. If your subject isn't rectilinear, or if you didn't expect "Zero Distortion" you might not notice it. A youtube reviewer actually flagged the issue, but just assumed it was how the lens behaved, and isn't bothered by it.

In my case, the whole reason for buying this lens was for its rectilinear presentation, so I didn't have to shoot with a fisheye lens, go to a computer, import, de-fish, export as jpeg, and then post to social media. I need the ooc jpeg output to be correct, or its utility for me is limited. Also, now that @Florian2 has posted videos with the pincushion, that behaviour too would have been problematic.

Nice shots, btw. I can see why you're not too fussed!

Variable

Mu-43 Rookie
@Florian2 thank you for your posts. The first frame of each video seems to show:

1. Mounted after the Panasonic 20mm, the Laowa 10mm renders video with pincushion distortion.
2. Mounted after the Sigma 60mm/2.8, the Laowa 10mm renders video without pincushion distortion.

So it appears that both video and jpeg output are impacted by the firmware issue.

Can you please report your video codec and settings?

Florian2

New to Mu-43
@Variable Yes, I am sorry for not being very clear in the first place. The first video was taken with the Laowa 10mm after the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 was attached to the GX9 (and taken a picture with), the second with the Laowa 10mm after the Sigma 60mm/2.8. And, as you say, the difference in distortion is similar to the difference with jpeg files.

In my opinion the whole sequence of frames shows the difference in distortion. Just look at the vertical line in the corner that in the first video bends right when being in the right half of the frame and bends left when being in the left half.

I was using MP4, FHD, 30p.

By the way, the problem with the false correction profiles applied to the pictures is not only the distortion. The "correction" also cuts into the picture, that is takes away some of it around the edges. I have tested the lens against the Zeiss 12mm/2.8 on a Fuji X-T3 and, interestingly for me, it shows a similar view angle (just slightly smaller, but higher, and similiar quality) . For me that came as a surprise as in FF terms we are used to consider the Zeiss behaving like a 18mm lens, whreas the Laowa as a 20mm lens.

Last edited:

Florian2

New to Mu-43
And, just to add clarity, this how the Laowa lens behaves after the very old Lumix 14-45mm/3.5-5.6. And in fact the Laowa itself seems to have very small barrel distortion that for me would not matter at all. https://flic.kr/p/2m3NJg7

Last edited:

Florian2

New to Mu-43
The Olympus 1,8/25 should be a good match for this lens. Very little correction of the distortion. Even better the Olympus 1,2/25

Attachments

• Screenshot_132.png
    Screenshot_132.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_125.png
    Screenshot_125.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 5
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom