Landscape with Fisheye, to de-fish or not.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Lens....Samyang 7.5mm FE.

I was playing around with some FE landscape images on PSE 13 that I'd de-fished, toggling between the 'DO' and 'UNDO' icons.

The difference between the two was amazing, the impression of the normal FE image was that the picture had a 'bulge' in the centre and was foreshortening the overall 'depth' of the shot.

Turning on the de-fish seemed to push the centre of the picture back, to flatten it so to speak, and gave a much better feeling of recession.

It may not be so apparent from these few 'stills' but when switched on and off the difference is extremely apparent.

If you load the images into your computer and 'flick' between each one quickly you can see what I'm on about.

I much prefer the de-fished images.

Straight FE shot.
    19309615262_86ac8ebaac_o. P5230624 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

De-Fished.
    18693115584_c6c283e519_o. P5230624 copy-DF by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Straight FE shot.
    18693727764_5a6d2f3de9_o. P5230632 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

De-Fished.
    19128645728_496195c999_o. P5230632 copy-DF by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Nice shots, I agree the De-Fished photos are more appealling. The flatter look suites this kind of landscape shot, the bulge is abit off putting!

3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    For those who have used fisheye lenses, what are some landscape characteristics that lend themselves to a fisheye distortion?

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If the landscape does not have a clear, flat horizon (or it can be placed dead center) then often the fisheye shot looks less unnaturally stretched.

5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    That sounds like you are trying to minimize the effect. Are there scenes where you want to embrace the distortion? Up in the mountains, perhaps? I've seen pictures where the distortion was so severe that it looked like a little globe. (Pretty cool, actually). Is that just post processing?

I just got the Pro fisheye about an hour ago. Haven't taken it out far yet, but it makes my house look like a hobbit hole from LOTR. :laugh1:

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It also really depends on your output objectives. I find that rectilinear de-fishing hurts edge resolution so badly that I don't even really want to do it, unless I'm cropping to a more square framing or outputting really small.

In some cases the fisheye effect is also more natural, since everything isn't being "pushed out" so aggressively.

To be honest, I rarely defish shots from my 7.5mm/f3.5. Almost never, is more accurate. And mostly I take landscapes with it, and embrace the effect. If I want a wider angle view with less distortion, I would prefer to stitch panoramas. The 7.5 has exceptional resolution ordinarily, but I don't love the defished output.

7. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    What are you guys using to defish? I'm guessing you can only do this with raw files?

8. tkbslc

I couldn't actually see the examples at work earlier when I commented. Now that I can see them, I don't think defishing is an improvement. The fisheye shots show a more natural, unstretched, spacial arrangement and are not causing noticeable horizon curvature. I think the defished shot may be a bit more dramatic but the fisheye shot looks more natural.

9. tkbslc

Raw is irrelevant. You can do it with any image format. If you use Lightroom, there are lens profiles for defishing. I use a free program called hugin that is pretty powerful. There is a cheap tool called anglerfish that works pretty well if you want really quick results.

10. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I see what you mean with "bulge" when I "A/B" between them, but looking at these on their own I prefer the non-defished ones.

The de-fishing pushes the mountains further back in frame and makes them look less high. While this might depict the actual scenery more accurately, the smaller mountains make it less dramatic for me (purely from a visual point of view :) )

Looking at all the other answers here shows us again that there's no right or wrong. Just everybody's personal preference :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I use Fisheye Hemi, LR is no good IMHO.

You can defish RAW or JPG.

12. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Lightroom does a very good job with the Samyang 7.5 mm, with the correct user profiles.
    You can even change the projection to stereographic (which is very interesting)

Hugin is also a very good tool, with it you are totally free to choose the projection you want.

I don't like rectilinear projection for the examples shown, I think the fisheye look most natural, and the best would probably be between the two.
    (I would try stereographic)

In the end, it's all about what you want to show on your images.
    If you want to show a strong (exagerated) perspective, rectilinear ultra wide angle is the way to go.
    If you want something natural, and you don't care about straight lines, stereographic is very good.
    If you want a fisheye look... then the fisheye projection is best (equidistant or equisolid, depending on the lens).

I nearly always end up chosing the stereographic projection with my 7.5 mm images.

I love ultra wide angle images, but to have an interesting framing with the perspective I want, I need to have this rectilinear view in the viewfinder, at the time I tike the picture (and then I use my 9-18).