Landscape Photography Myths: the wide angle lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tanngrisnir3, Nov 29, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Thought I'd repost an article from an contact of mine who is a VERY accomplished landscape photographer (and music professor) in regards to something it took me about three years to realize:

ALL lenses are landscape lenses. Throw off the shackles of wide-angle mental slavery.

Check it out if you've got a few minutes.

Photographic Myths and Platitudes - 'Landscape Photography Lenses' (Part I)

• Like Like x 10
  2. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    Landscape photography

Thanks, interesting reading and photos on this website i bookmarked it :) 

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am not a landscape shooter, but most of my best landscape shots came from a telephoto. I think I heard about that concept in a lightroom training video a few years back, and found it quite liberating -- taking details from landscape. The only time I use UWA is when I have something interesting in the foreground that I want to put in a broader context.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    The longer I do this, the more I favor the "Intimate Landscape" and medium/longer lenses. My 20mm (film) lens hasn't seen duty in many a day. Whether it's due to been-there/done-that, or a heightened sense of aesthetics :) ....

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Unless you're shooting an image with a lot of interesting clouds...my 7-14mm feasts off of images like no other lens I have.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great article. I've always used a variety of lenses for landscapes it's all about creativity and vision. :cool: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.