1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Landscape photography advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by briloop, Mar 22, 2014.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    A co-worker of mine wants to know what kind of camera to buy for landscape photography. I am not much into landscape photography, so I don't have much advice for him, other than to ask him what his budget is and what he hopes to accomplish.

So, as far equipment goes, what would you recommend for landscape photography?

Thanks

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    A decent camera (which is pretty much every camera today) with manual controls, a wide-ish lens, and a sturdy tripod. I started shooting landscapes seriously with a 10mp Nikon D80 and the 18-200 consumer zoom and got great results. Any of the 16mp m43 cameras will have equivalent IQ.

My first upgrade was a Gitzo tripod and Markins ball head, which cost more than either that camera or lens but will last a lifetime.

3. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Agreed with bassman. Any modern camera/lens combo will output respectable images if used correctly. Sharp, big $$$ lenses certainly help with taking an image from 90% to 100%, but the majority of the shot is in finding the scene and your post processing.

I'd recommend have a wide and normal lens on hand to start, as having a wide angle only can limit your vision. Oh and always shoot in raw.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If he wants to hike and shoot his hikes, any 16mp m43 body and a good wide angle lens. If he wants to scout locations, take a tripod, wait till the light is perfect etc., then a D800 and the sharpest lens he can afford.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My favorite landscape lenses are usually normal zooms (so 12-35 or 12-40 in MFT land), and the modern sensor cams make great landscape cams. My ideal is the Sony A7r, but really it depends on what he wants to shoot, exactly, and his budget and expectations. Some folks like ultrawides, some like telephoto, some print huge, some only post online....