1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Landscape Photographer of the Year

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Oct 25, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 4
  2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Colin

Many thanks for posting

we should do a poll on these to see what we think

Some great images

Breakfast view is my winner

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's funny -- it seems to me that a number of those shots have relatively false colors (that is, the saturation was punched up or the hues were manipulated a bit -- thinking specifically of 5,6,7,11 and 12), yet they are lovely shots. Only recently have I begun to get over the fear that "this isn't accurate to the shot" and instead am working towards what looks good. It's only taken me about 3 years to get there!

Wonderful link and set. Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks for posting.
    For me, I think there's members here doing better images.
    Nice stuff but I'm spoiled by our members images.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Don - I never knew you felt like that - I'll keep posting!!!!

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Wow. I liked a few of them, but most of them didn't do a whole lot for me. Some seemed too flat and others way unnatural. Some of them almost looked kinda fake/computer generated like those screensaver pictures.

To each their own I guess.

7. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree completely Bill with your pick of the bunch....in my view with the exception of the breakfast.....they were all Photoshopped to death!! That is the one thing that bothers me with contests....very few are natural....all have had some manipulation to them and I am a purist....also....I am old enough to remember the darkroom!!

8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    hmm ... of not one could I say "Oh, I wish I had taken that ... "

9. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Landscape POY

My initial take was that the winner could have been a nicely put together HDR and although I like the look of some pix of that nature they don't look like that for real. It's a tool given to us by the software sellers to play with. Plus, at the time I checked the link I was hungry, so the breakfast took my vote!

10. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I often find with photos like that that am impressed by the first one, but lose interest after the second. I don't know why, but that doesn't happen with less heavily processed images. Good luck to the guy though!

11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Agreed, but that just means we need to overwhelm the entries next year!

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    tough crowd

13. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Who were the judges, swayed by over saturated images perhaps.

Barrie

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    If I had to pick a favorite, Pew Tor, Dartmoor, Devon seems like the one I would pick. It seems like the most natural or "organic" of them.

15. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Not too far from me, I'll have to try and find it and see if I can reproduce the shot :smile:

Barrie

16. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I think the crew at that other forum were the judges....
    That's why I said we have a better selection right here on the forum...
    it's true....it' true!

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    That would be interesting. Maybe a different perspective on a similar scene.

18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    to me the sheep shot was the only one that made me stop and look

19. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    There were three I liked:

1) The sand one;
    2) Falkirk wheel;
    3) "Origins"

20. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,
    The four I liked best - in order of preference were:

1) Pew Tor
    2) South Downs
    3) Sand patterns...
    4) Lavender field at dawn

The urban stuff was just too common. The sheep picture had me wondering why oh why weren't those tails docked? (I've raised sheep) The border collie did remind me of my old border collie - Tex - I do miss Tex - got old and passed . The breakfast picture - well it needed the other side of the window to finish making it look like a picture. Besides - really - who on earth eats beans for breakfast?

OK so it's probably obvious that I have some pretty strong feelings about HDR cause most of the pictures were HDRd.

To me HDR photography is about capturing the dynamic range of a scene in a photograph with adequate detail. Another way to think of it is to have as few solid black or solid white areas in a photograph as possible. If you think of it in terms of your eyes - when you look at a very dark area of a scene your eyes adjust and you see detail - ditto a very bright area - your eyes adjust and you see detail. HDR is an effort to capture that adjustibilty in a photograph.

From Dan Jurak's blog... A blog I follow (full credit where credit is due you know) Dan Jurak’s Alberta Landscape Photo Blog

HDR a powerful tool that can be rightly or wrongly applied - it's all a matter of taste - the viewers. And he is absolutely right you often absolutely cannot tell if you are looking at an HDR. I have absolutely no doubt that far more often than we realize that when looking at professional work we are looking at HDR and don't even know it.

So to me the HDR situation begs a simple question - where exactly is the line between photography and art? Fortunately due to the many "filters" (many in camera) we have and our ability to manipulate digital photos we can express ourselves as "realistically" or as "artistically" as we like. For when it comes right down to it - a moment in time is gone forever and who is to say what the reality really was? Lets suppose for a moment we could "take a picture" of a scene through the eyes of a "normal" person, somebody drunk, somebody high on pot and somebody strung out on LSD. Which "picture" would represent the reality of a moment never to exist again? I would argue that they all do. Reality absolutely does not necessarily represent the one that I can most identify with - bartender another beer please! :biggrin:

-Ed-