Landscape or other opportunities in the San Diego area?

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
Hi all,

On a plane to San Diego right now. I was hoping to get some evening shooting in this week during my stay in San Diego and Orange County. Anyone have good recommendations for what to check out? I was hoping to do Crystal Cove in Laguna to try out some landscape shots. Thanks for the input.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Not landscape, but under the "other" category, you might check out the San Diego Zoo. I have only been to San Diego once and it was a brief visit, but my brother in law and I hit the zoo there and the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Command Museum which might also be interesting, if you're into military history, the Marines, or simply can appreciate history.

I wasn't into photography back then - in fact, didn't even bring a camera on that trip at all. But in retrospect, there were some fun opportunities at the zoo like when we saw the Arctic Wolf being walked through the park on a leash :biggrin:

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
Yeah the zoo I was thinking about. Don't really have the time because I gotta work during the day and i don't have anything longer than 45mm with me. I remember Balboa park was pretty cool also. I'll look into that museum, might be a good option. Thanks.

shizlefonizle

Mu-43 Veteran
Lots of hiking spots in SD/OC where you can get some good landscapes. Crystal Cove is nice and the surrounding area in Laguna should also give you some stuff to shoot. I believe the trolley in Laguna is still running so you can explore Laguna along PCH (its free).

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Balboa park is a must.I go there often to shoot people and the museums are great.There is an interesting exhibit now at the Museum of Photographic Arts called "The Jazz Loft Project" consisting of Black and White prints by W. Eugene Smith of the Jazz greats of the fiftys/sixties taken in and around his tenement loft in the meatpacking district of New York.Also La Jolla cove and the seals and pelicans at the childrens pool.Unfortunately, we are having a bad week of overcast skies here.It can't always be perfect!

rhoydotp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
rpamparo
a bit of a drive, but the last time I was there I went for a hike at Joshua Tree National Park. It's landscape galore ;)

of course, you can't go wrong with the sunrise/sunset at the many beaches in the area ... have fun!

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
spinyman said:
Balboa park is a must.I go there often to shoot people and the museums are great.There is an interesting exhibit now at the Museum of Photographic Arts called "The Jazz Loft Project" consisting of Black and White prints by W. Eugene Smith of the Jazz greats of the fiftys/sixties taken in and around his tenement loft in the meatpacking district of New York.Also La Jolla cove and the seals and pelicans at the childrens pool.Unfortunately, we are having a bad week of overcast skies here.It can't always be perfect!

It seems to be overcast every time I'm in San Diego. Last time I was here I paid a little more for a convertible and never saw the sun, haha.

La Jolla cove was another one I had read about, I'll check that out for sure. I'm going to try and get creative with clouds I guess!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
The cove is cool especially when the sea lions are about. North of the cove the cliffs are quite nice. Going east, at the summit of the mountains the scenery abruptly changes from forest to desert.

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
Saw those Sea Lions out there. I was limited by only having the Olympus 45mm as my longest lens. Here is a brief set I took at the cove today. Experimented with processing a bit as the tones were pretty drab because of the overcast weather.

San Diego - a set on Flickr

This one was pretty funny as this girl was posing quite a ways away from the guy with the little point and shoot. She was really serious about her modeling :rofl:

7978274949_7851421aee_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hold that pose! by danska8, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom