1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Landscape Astrophotography with Lumix LX100

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by GShooter, Oct 21, 2015.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

I have bought a Lumix LX100 to use for Astrophotography as well as a general carry round camera. My main system is Canon DSLR , but we won't go into that discussion. My reasons for choosing the LX100 are a fast 1.7 lens and fairly good high ISO noise control up to 1600. I have had good results for static star shots using shutter speeds of 10-15 secs and ISO of 1600 with the lens wide open. I would now like to do some star trail shots using stacked images. I would probably need about 15 mins worth of shooting. The maximum time I can keep the shutter open is 120 secs. I had thought that I could use the Time lapse facility and have managed to set it up OK using short intervals as a test, but no matter how many exposures are made , when I review the images I see only one image which is listed as Image 1-5 etc. I have read the user manual and it makes no mention of a composite image being made in camera but I think this may be what is happening. Could somebody please advise me on this. Also would I need to insert a dark frame between each exposure? I realise that not many people on this forum are using the LX100 But I would think that the Panasonic Time Lapse facility is common to all Panasonic M 4/3 bodies.

2. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

WOW!! The response is staggering. I thought this might be a good place to ask for help. Obviously not.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    not an LX100 owner or astrophotography shooter but I own a Panasonic G6. I used to shoot the interval shooting mode but not the time lapse mode, I suppose what you're looking for is actually the interval shooting mode?

4. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

Hello jyc860923. Thanks for answering. I have just checked out the G6 user manual online and see that it has Time Lapse facility. I think that Interval shooting and Time Lapse are the same thing. I have managed to find out that what I am seeing is a stacked image and not a composite. All the exposures are there when I load them into Photoshop. Would have still have liked some input about my other question though.

Best regards