1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Landscape and the need for weather proofing

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ripleys baby, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    My oh so short break to scotland reinforced my opinion that a weather proof camera is a good idea.
    When i saw this blackness rolling its way up the glen, i decided it would be i good idea for me and my G3 to leg it back across the bog to the hotel

_1000558 by Buster & Taz, on Flickr

2 minutes 32 seconds later the snow and hail had swallowed the whole mountain

_1000561 by Buster & Taz, on Flickr

I made it back with my gear dry.
    Now if i had the new Olympus i could have stayed longer and completed
    a dramatic sequence without fear of gear damage.
    I will be going back quite soon for more of this.

_1000499 by Buster & Taz, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Uh, I gotta figure out how much is a plane ticket to Scotland...your shots are amazing!

I, too, look forward to the OM-D weathersealing as it is exceedingly wet where I live as well (Sichuan, China).

• Like Like x 1
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    In that kind of weather I'd rather be dry and warm indoors regardless of whether my gear was weather sealed or not. I'm sure it would be good to have a camera that could handle snow and hail, but my problem is my preference that I not have to handle snow and hail :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Looks like great fun. I find cameras to be a lot more robust that we give them credit for. My GH 1 & 2 have been thru all sorts of weather without skipping a beat. Battery life is usually the 1st to go in the cold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Weather sealing won't help with high humidity. They're not airtight.

6. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    That's true; that's why I have a dry cabinet as well. Too many legacy lenses in too moist an environment not to.

That said I've been in some amazing places in this province, many places that have never seen white folks, and it's almost always wet/raining/misting. I can't wait for my OM-D!

(Side note: it's insane how much they are charging here for the OM-D! 10K CNY for body + commemorative box + lapel pin :rofl:)