1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lake Louise, Banff

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by DMLarson, Jul 22, 2015.

1. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Dan
    Lake Louise in Banff National Park is a place of superlative beauty. Sublime. On the day that I happened to visit it was also defaced by an amazing amount of litter. It was shocking how much trash was laying around. I could have spent a morning there and come away with hundreds of uniquely different shots of litter. All of these shots were taken of trash where I found it, none were staged.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It's sad seeing such a nice location, defaced with litter :( I have seen worse though...

• Like Like x 1
  4. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    people are disgusting and selfish. spend one week giving out stiff fines, post them on the twitiodot-sphere, and lets see what happens

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    People are people. If that place is targeting city type people (look at that hotel), then expect the place to look like city. To be fair, park should do better on cleaning too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is really a shame. Lake Louise is truly a lovely spot and I hate to see it treated this way. Thanks for documenting it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Spilling a bit of champagne is littering?!? Really? I love this quote: "We really don’t think that the top of Katahdin should smell like a bar,” Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell said. I'm sure that the odor of those few ounces of champagne really lingered. I understand the value of keeping "wilderness" wild, but this really seems like an overreach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    to be 'fair', there shouldnt be a need for collecting trash from the ground, water and stone fences. i was a 'city' person for 4 decades and didnt need a pocket mom picking up after me. coddling selfish idiots is what makes selfish-idiotry so ubiquitous. there are still some cultures that value cleanliness in their streets, and personal responsibility in their societies, and they provide an instructive counterpoint to this foolishness. try this antisocial behavior in Singapore and see how far your sentiment goes in defending it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Some people are slobs. Why should we (taxpayers anywhere) have to pay rangers to pick up after them?

RE: Baxter;
    This has nothing to do with the slobs above but it bears reflecting upon how we think of and treat wilderness. And encroach upon it. The same selfishness is evident here. Media of course is twisting things. I support the rangers' actions. Way too many people and media in attendance. I personally have reservations about expropriating wilderness for your own little media circus. Other runners had little or no support nor media so I think that their accomplishment is greater.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That really is a TINY amount of trash ...

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There are people from all over the world, different cultures and life experiences, many are seniors who won't run after that paper blown by wind, many with kids that they struggle to control. Once trash start laying around, other tourists subconsciously notice that and start to do the same.
    So, yes, park should do the better job - both by cleaning and enforcing no littering.

12. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    pack it in, pack it out. Or at least use provided cans. Rangers have better things to do without being nannies.

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Rangers? What rangers? This place is more of the theme park than a wilderness.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
  15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    They don't need to look too far for solution: most ski resorts in CO have remote parking lots with shuttles delivering skiers to multiple lift locations.

16. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    (Dan, if you consider this a hijack let me know.)

Re: HCN article. we were visiting Arches the week before the Memorial Day closure reported and there was a back up at the entry booth nearly to the highway ~¼mi. Mid-day parking was nuts and the crowds were big at all the charismatic sites but it thinned out in the afternoon. Might have been the thunder storms :) Still we had a good time and didn't feel threatened. I think peak season shuttles a la Zion are coming soon. Typically folks were driving from one overlook to the next taking a quick selfie and moving on. A lot of tortured and abused photons littered about in their wake. (I must confess to doing some minor abusing myself) Actually not much garbage considering the hundreds of cars. All the rangers wore side arms. Limited access probably not necessary for a while anyway. More like a regular bus service with scheduled stops is needed. Gotta throw in a photo to keep closer to topic. Notice that there are no people in the picture since few venture beyond the overlook. Thick with people and cars behind me.

arches_0005.JPG

• Like Like x 2