Laggy video from EM-5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Damien, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Damien

Damien Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    The video I record with my EM-5 can look a little "jumpy" sometimes... and I don't mean that look when your shutter speed is fast, it just looks like it skips a beat here and there.
    Is that normal? Is it because I don't have the mega-fastest SD card out there?

2. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    What's the processor and ram of your computer?

3. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The video from my OM-D doesn't look laggy. :O

4. Damien

Damien Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    i7 2600k, 8 gigs of ram, solid state drive

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What class of card did you use? For video class 4 is the lowest limit and I have seen them not like HD video. When I shoot HD I always use a class 10 card as it is more than fast enough.

6. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Wow. I guess my laptop is slow. Lol. Im using sd card class 10 and have no problem with the video.

7. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    I think it could be just your media player. Before you try anything else give VLC media player a try. I had the same exact problem! It turned out the videos were good but the rendering by the other players I was using was simply not suited for OM-D files.

8. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    +1 try different players.

9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Try Splash Lite it is pretty good at high bitrate files, better than VLC IMO.

10. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Yep, I'll bet it's the video player, too. Video from the E-M5 shouldn't stutter at all, and your computer is fully capable. Next thing to check is the card used for recording.