Lack of Support

uswrdm02

Mu-43 Regular
I have multiple Lumix cameras and am sick and tired of trying to get questions answered going to the Panasonic website. I'm considering selling all the Lumix I have and buying another brand. Olympus??

Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with Olympus support?

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I have had just a few incidents where I needed help from Olympus. In one incident, a lens I bought reconditioned from them was DOA. I sent it in for repair and got it back in a week! That was amazing. My friend has sent some gear to them for repair and they took care of it. Haven't had experience with Panasonic, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not so great.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Last I heard (5-6 months ago) was that Panasonic in McAllen, TX was improving and providing feedback and quicker turnaround. Sad to hear you had a bad experience with the website, you might try calling the Service Center and see if they will answer direct questions. If they are REALLY intent on bringing their service up to a pro level, you might have luck. What's the worst that could happen?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I've had good service the 2 times I've had to get equipment repaired. They did screw up the return address on one which added a couple of weeks using my backup body but the other went perfectly.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
Only dealt with Olympus service once. I purchased a lens directly from them and wasn't happy with the bottom corners. I was told a tech would be in touch .
The tech emailed shortly, wanted pictures, I emailed them. Two hrs later the tech emailed me back to inform me someone would be in touch with instrutions of what to do with the lens.
Shipped it back to the US at their expence and another lens was shipped to me.
So no complaints so far

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
A traditional brick and mortar camera store is likely to give much better front line support than the manufacturer. Olympus Pro service may be better, but you have to qualify with specific equipment and for higher tiers you have to pay.

As for questions, this forum is almost certainly going to be more knowledgeable than some front line support person...

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
Olympus Thailand 6 month for any repair :whistling: But my trusted Camera-shop will change very quickly a lens as well as for the camera if I have a problem.

So I deal with the shop.

Real Name
Mel
I have had excellent support from Olympus. Never had to have a repair but have had questions that were answered very quickly by either phone or email.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus support and service in Europe is excellent. But we have no idea where you live?

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I had one experience with Olympus Canada. I purchased a "broken" lens at a very good price on eBay. When I got it, it would intermittently "go black" in the viewfinder, for no apparent reason.

But also, it came with the original receipt, and it was still under warranty! I followed the instructions on their website, sent it in, and got it back fixed in about two weeks. They even did a brilliant job cleaning it, as the former owner had left huge thumbprints on both the front and rear elements. Their repair notes said they replaced a circuit board.

Immediately after getting it back, I paid for extended warranty on my E-M1 Mark II. I'm a believer.

Tor

Mu-43 Rookie
Only used Olympus service on my wife's EM10. Pain free and very knowledeable folks (US)

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I had the we (olympus) have had no complaints ( ie.not covered) with my em5mkll not turning off which cost $260 with shipping but they were very prompt, I bought a pen f used and the touch screen and record for video doesn't work so I am hoping for the same flat rate for repairs which I believe was posted here. They were very quick to help me update my firmware and walked me thru it over the phone.

ph.

Mu-43 Regular
Excellent support and repair here in Norway, my "carthago delendum est" gripe is that Olympus seems incapable or unwilling to enable a firmware fix for keeping the focus point in the middle.

p

Excellent support and repair here in Norway, my "carthago delendum est" gripe is that Olympus seems incapable or unwilling to enable a firmware fix for keeping the focus point in the middle.

p
??? If you don't move the focus point, it will stay where you put it. Or, you can set a button to return the focus point to it's home position.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
??? If you don't move the focus point, it will stay where you put it. Or, you can set a button to return the focus point to it's home position.
I think he wants to make it impossible to move it, without the need for glue.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom