Lack of Focus Peaking on OM System 80mm Macro

Hi all,

Well first of all - equipment: OM-D E-M1.2, OM 80mm Macro with the closeup lens, Olympus OM telescoping tube, FOTGA OM->M43 adapter.

This is the adapted lens I have shot the most with, and to be honest, I'm reasonably happy with the results...

_A051290-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Untouched results)

The only issue I really have is focus peaking doesn't ever work (edit: there are dots but rarely on an edge -- absolutely nothing compared to manual focus on any of my M43 lenses). This even happened with a different set up (same lens, focusing helicoid and a homemade adapter). I know focus peaking works with contrast, and someone mentioned before a lack of contrast here, so I guess that makes sense. And indeed when I use the magnify feature, there's a lot of stray noise I see.

The question I have - the only non-Olympus piece I have here is the FOTGA adapter. Would it make a difference if I got the MF-2? Or is it on me (i.e. something about the way I have lighting or some setting or something).

Thanks!

Dion

Last edited:

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
The adapter won't make any difference to the peaking unfortunately. Its all down to the scene lighting & contrast.

You could try the Oly lighting (or third-party) - the two LED's that can clip into the hot-shoe that you can bend to suit conditions. I think there are also cheap knock-offs available too. If the subject can be easily controlled (eg you can put a light-source anywhere) you could try a torch to help with illuminating one side to nail focus then switch it off to take the shot (I guess a shade may also serve a similar purpose depending on conditions & subject).

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Have you set peaking to be enabled by a function button? I believe that is necessary for Olympus peaking on adapted lenses. The normal settings only work for native lenses in manual focus mode, which sense the focus ring movement.

Have you set peaking to be enabled by a function button? I believe that is necessary for Olympus peaking on adapted lenses. The normal settings only work for native lenses in manual focus mode, which sense the focus ring movement.

I did, but thanks for the suggestion. I have it mapped to fn2 and magnify to fn1.

I had a bit more success earlier... I added some lights and was able to get a little more of a concentration of focus peaking.

_A061291.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom