1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lack of excitement about GH3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ajamils, Dec 16, 2012.

1. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I'm quite surprised the lack of discussions about GH3 on this forum or DPreview. Seems like this camera is not generating as much excitement or discussions as other cameras at release like GH2 or OM-D.

2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I think it's because nothing was very revolutionary. Everything is just a little better, but what does the camera offer that is really new? The video is great, but so are the other hacked GH cameras. The body is built well, but it is rather large for a m43. Basically the video being better is the main selling point IMO, otherwise the OM-D is cheaper, smaller, and stabilized much better.

Edit: I forgot to mention the removal of the multiaspect sensor, one of the most unique aspects of the previous GH cameras. I really enjoyed that feature and without it the GH3 is just another DSLR looking camera to me.

3. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    David certainly seems to like it :)

The SOUNDIMAGEPLUS blog

I'm trying not to think about it because at that kind of money it is well out of my reach, no matter how good it is!!

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I think it's perceived as more of a video camera and it is fairly expensive.

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    It will be interesting to see if David finds out how to get magnified view for manual focusing with adapted lenses, the latest blog of his I read indicated that the familiar two button operation did not work on his new toy. If that operation is more convoluted it might take the edge off his obvious current enjoyment of it.

I might look on it as I did when I upgraded to a GH2, a secondhand purchase when prices had dropped to something more reasonable.

Barrie

6. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

It is definitely on my radar along with the 35-100 lens. I will probably wait till prices drop somewhat (list is $1299 here) or they become available from Hong Kong. I have a G5 coming so after using that for a while I will know if a GH3 is going to be in my future or if I should get the latest Olympus offering.
    If Olympus can finally get 4/3 lenses to work properly on a micro 4/3 body then I will be lining up to get that.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm not at all surprised. The GH3 has several things going against it with regards to brewing excitement on the forum:

1) It's not readily available yet (I got mine a few weeks ago, but I also pre-ordered the day the pre-orders opened)

2) It's expensive, even compared to the OM-D which was already a big price jump for m4/3

3) It's bigger. LOTS of people are turned off by the size increase and are shunning it like the worst thing to happen to m4/3 by "ruining" the size advantage of the format.

4) It's less revolutionary than the OM-D with it's retro looks, 5-axis IBIS, and big leap in Olympus sensor tech. The GH3 is more of a logical next step in every area, built around a pro-style body.

5) Perception that it's heavily video focused. It offers at least as much improvement & features for still photography, but the GH series has a strong reputation as a video camera that makes a lot of people think "oh, I don't shoot video so that's not for me".

• Like Like x 4
  8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've bought one but still waiting for the shop to get one in stock, hopefully next week.

Paul

9. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    It's not really interesting to amateurs unless most of what you do is video. I think that's why you don't see much talk about it on a site like this. Go over to a video-focused forum and it would be a different story. The GH2 wasn't just Panasonic's top of the line video camera, but also their top of the line stills camera. They've yet to really replace it in the latter count.

10. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I currently own an OM-D and being a previous owner of GH1 and GH2, I have been really curious to try out GH3. When GH3 was initially announced I was disappointed by the size increase and lack of any extra ordinary improvements for still photography but after handling OM-D (with grip) and Nikon D5100 (my brother's) at my bother's wedding, I decided to order GH3. The biggest reason for me was that even with grip attached, I could not get use to the OM-D feel and comparatively I felt right at home with D5100.

With that said, since still photography is my area of interest, I'm not sure if I did the right thing by ordering GH3 because for what its worth, I might have gotten away with getting G5 instead, but only time I will tell as I should get my GH3 sometime next week and then once I do side by side comparison with OM-D, I will decide which one to keep.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't forget also, people are wary about buying new mirrorless cameras now. They all inevitably drop in price. I'm pretty sure this will drop in price as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I don't consider the GH3 as mainly a video camera. Its video capabilities are surely great, but it seems to be the µ4/3 camera offering the best interface. For each important feature there is a button, thus there is no need for diving in the menues anymore. And there is still a size advantage. Just compare the GH3 and the 12-35mm and the 35-100mm as a set to equivalent Canon/Nikon sets and it's obvious that there is still a huge advantage in size and weight. If you want to carry a small camera with a small pancake on it, there are enough competent µ4/3 cameras which already fulfill your needs.

• Like Like x 3
  13. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    But that's the case with any tech. Yet people still buy new iphones or android tablets. If no one buys the stuff at MSRP, then the manufacturers will stop making new things. There's no reason to.

For me, the GH3 is simply too big. My GH1 was already plenty big. It was about the size of a Olympus E420. The GH3 is even bigger. It's DSLR sized. There are plenty of DSLRs that are cheaper, have OVFs and larger sensors.

14. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    But the lenses are still a lot smaller. It's still not a big camera, it's very well built and has a lot of features. The ergonomics appear to be very good too and I think it will compliment my setup very well. I still have the G5 to use if size really does matter at any time, and both cameras and 4 lenses (7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25) will fit into my not very large camera bag (Lowepro Slingshot AW100).

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  15. wikoproductions

wikoproductions Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2012
    I received mine several weeks ago too, and just purchased the 25mm F1.4 two days ago. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet, and the weather hasn't been cooperating.

Now saving up for the rest of the lenses in Kiwi Paul's arsenal in the previous post, minus the 12-35 lens.

16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I can understand why, having just now been burned by Panasonic's insane pricing fluctuations on the still relatively new G5 model. If I wasn't so impatient I'd have waited another 6-12 months (like I said I would) to get the GH3. :rolleyes:

That said, I don't think the GH3 will drop like the G5 did, it's more likely to hold value more like the GH2, or other higher end DSLRs do. The OM-D has held value pretty well comparatively and I expect the GH3 to hold closer to that curve.

17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I had the G5 (selling it on ebay as we speak), and I now own the GH3. I don't see it as a "video" camera. It's no different than the high end DSLR models from Canon and Nikon in supporting both feature sets.

The GH3 has significant ergonomic and handling/control improvements over the G5, better build quality, weather-sealing, longer battery life, increased burst rate, AF improvements, and of course improvements in sensor tech. There may be less obvious "leaps" in technology for people to get excited about with the GH3, but there's still plenty to be happy about as a photographer :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Since you have owned both (G5 and GH3) could you please shed some light about still performance between the two? Also, if possible could you post some pictures from both for comparison?

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The lack of buzz is more about perception than capabilities. The EM5 pushes more enthusiast buttons than the GH3, e.g., size and IBIS. In many ways the GH3 is more of a pro-style body, but, relatively speaking, not many pros use mu43 as a main camera.

20. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    There's pictures up on my Flickr stream from both cameras (all of the Saranac and Ft. Lauderdale photos for example are from the G5). I've posted in the GH3 thread as well as in my thread on it here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f43/got-my-gh3-1st-thoughts-comparison-pics-37283/

I don't have any head to head comparison pics because I don't do test shootouts with my cameras, and I haven't shot the GH3 very much yet.

The stills performance in terms off sensor changes is about like the G5 to the OM-D from what I've seen so far. There's some improvement to be sure... I can already tell there's about a stop more usable ISO performance for example. My initial impression is there also seems to be more overhead recovering shadows & highlights than with the G5 images as well. The images look very sharp and clear, though that's also in part due to having some nice sharp lenses to pair with it, and I can't say based on a few test shots if it's noticeably more so than with other 16MP Panasonics I've used.