1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Label those Chargers

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by CWRailman, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    For every camera I own, I purchase the Wasabi two battery kit and travel charger. Those chargers are more convenient than the ones supplied by the camera manufacture and I have yet to have trouble with them or as some have reported had them fail to charge the original factory battery. When not on the road with me these sit with one end up in a drawer. As such it is difficult to tell which charger is for which battery. So….. today I printed out some labels for them and ended that cornfusion.
    Camera%20Battery%20Charger%20Label%20003a.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rocky

rocky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2012
    Kapolei, HI/Walnut Creek, CA
    Greg
    Yeah, Denny, I've done this, as well, and it makes things much easier. Great tip.

Greg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've got four BLN-1 batteries for my E-M1 and E-P5 and I numbered my batteries to keep them all recycling in order. Mine doesn't look anywhere near as professional as yours' does. I just numbered them with a sharpie permanent marker.
    Bobby

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The batteries are a pain.. with all systems. I am quite happy with Panasonic because the have just one battery for the GM-Series and One for the G-Series. Now I do have 3 chargers for each... and one battery spare.... That´s enough...

Maybe one more spare battery would be nice for the GM5 - this eats power up like a Sony a7;-)

5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Silver Sharpie on black items for we lazy labelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Those battery housings with contacts are removable - you could buy and label just them.

7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Sorry I'm having a senior moment. What battery housings? :confused:
    Bobby

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Whenever I thin down the camera herd I am especially proud of the extra space in my junk drawer with many chargers and spare batteries gone. Then a few weeks later it somehow is always full again...So yeah, labeling is a must. But just a scrap of paper with camera name scribbled on it taped to the underside of the charger for me. Don't think I could handle the emotional commitment of a printed label.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Just curious... What makes the Wasabi models more convenient than the manufacturer-supplied chargers?

11. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I do not separate the charger assemblies because they do not all have the same output charging capacity.
    Camera%20Battery%20Chargers%20002a.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Here is a comparison of the chargers for my E-M5 battery. The factory charger is a bit larger and then there is the messy electrical cord to deal with. The Wasabi charger plugs directly into the wall outlet and is easier to store because it does not have the cord. I know some folks are using an adapter in place of the cord that allows the factory charger to plug directly into the wall but again that is an extra item to deal with.

Another plus, though I do not use it, is that the Wasabi comes with an adapter that allows you to plug it into your cars cigarette lighter or whatever they call those charging ports in vehicles these days. Camera%20Battery%20Chargers%20001a.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What Denny said - I made the mistake of not checking and just taking the charger plates and one base along on one trip - result was that my RX100 batreries charged fine, but the much lower voltage meant I was stuck with the pre charged E-M5 batteries which needed more juice.

14. Wes Coleman

Wes Coleman Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Wes Coleman
    Those gray cables are the bane of my existence. They take up more space than most m43 primes! I bought some of these and I'm saving tons of space in my bag when I travel.

[​IMG]

I have been eyeing the Wasabi stuff for a while, but have been afraid to buy a non-OEM product. The general consensus is that they're ok?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    iQUOTE="Wes Coleman, post: 827657, member: 26723"]Those gray cables are the bane of my existence. They take up more space than most m43 primes! I bought some of these and I'm saving tons of space in my bag when I travel.

41vJIbXMjjL.

I have been eyeing the Wasabi stuff for a while, but have been afraid to buy a non-OEM product. The general consensus is that they're ok?[/QUOTE]
    That adapter that you show is the one I referred to in my first message.

I have used the Wasabi batteries for about 8 years now. Everytime I get a new camera that does not use AA batteries, the first thing I buy are the Wasabi batteries. Some folks have noted a few anomalies but I have never had any problem with them in any of my Pentax and now Olympus and Panasonic cameras. I always order the two battery kits which include the charger from Blue Nook and they have very good prices plus very fast shipping. I keep very close records of the shots per battery charge and get the same service from the Wasabi as from an OEM battery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Stuff:

I am not sure there is anything special about the "Wasabi" label. I have been buying those chargers on eBay for three or four years with varying labels and they are all the same. I think there is just one factory in China making them.

Re the charging plates and bases, yes there are different bases. Their voltage output is marked on the base underneath the charging plate. FWIW I have had a number of Panny M43 cameras (G1, GX7, GF1, GF2 GF3) and all have used the same bases/voltage. To remove the plate, just slide it away from the big end of the base. Don't lift it up or try to turn it sideways. It should come off easily. Then you can see the voltage rating of the base.

Re bases, in addition to different voltages, some have a 12 volt input port and come with a curly-cord cigar lighter cable. Sounds like a good idea and I have carried the cords all over the world but I have yet to actually use one! The ones with the 12 volt option don't seem to cost anything more than the vanilla ones.

Re why use these chargers, as others have said it is to save space. With the built-in USA plug prongs that fold out of the way it is very compact and requires no power cord. The second best option is the molded DIN to USA adapters like:
    adaptor_nema_1-15_plug_to_iec_c7_connector.
    I have bought them from http://www.stayonline.com The charger end is an IEC C7 and the blade end is called a NEMA 1-15. There is a 3-wire IEC socket that adds a ground, called a C5, informally a "cloverleaf" or "mickey mouse" plug. I have seen these on laptop power supplies. I think I have gotten molded C7 adapters from stayonline but I don't see them on the site right now. They do offer NEMA to C5 and NEMA to C7 extension cords as short as two or three feet.

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I think the general consensus depends who and where you ask the question. There are a number of threads discussing third party batteries, and IMHO, consensus is not always clear. For example, I had heard many a great thing about several brands I was considering, only to find an equally number of posts from owners who discussed concerning issues in detail. The only conclusion I came to was that the only gripe about manufacturer batteries was that they were expensive, but reasonably defect free. Of course, YMMV.

Good luck,

--Ken

18. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Me neither. I've been buying the Progo's which look the same as the Wasabi branded. Could be made in the same place. Serve me as well as the OEM. A no-brand battery came with a used body I bought and it soon failed. So I think a non-OEM is fine as long as you stick with a well regarded brand like Progo or Wasabi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The after market battery might your choice but they don't have the temperature protection for charging as the brand (Olympus) batteries do. I'll stick with Olympus batteries thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    How do you determine this? Have you opened a battery or charger? Other method? Just curious.

• Like Like x 1