1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lab Printing

Discussion in 'Printing' started by JoeV, Apr 17, 2013.

1. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I don't own a high quality photo printer, preferring to save up photos and make Blurb books, and also share online. But I've been hankering for some real prints, and so yesterday loaded some on a USB stick and headed over to my local lab, Picture Perfect in Albuquerque.

I prefer to shoot 4:3, but the lab prints 4x6 for 50 cents per sheet. 5x7 prints jump up to about $3, and so I had the lab print them full-frame to 4x6, with a white border.

I was very pleased with the results on luster paper. Highlights appear a bit blown in the prints whereas on my monitor there was plenty of detail left, so in the future I'll tone down the prints a bit.

It was very satisfying to see these images on "real" photo paper, even the sepia toned B/W looks great.

The set I had printed were from the G5 with the BCL15 body cap lens, and the images are fine at this small size. Even the low light shot at ISO1600 was clean, no chroma noise at this print size, meaning that I will do more color shooting in low light if intended for small prints.

Okay, enough for me, how about you? Do you like having small lab prints made of your images?

~Joe

2. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I usually make my own small prints (Epson R1400 printer) but send my large ones out. Even though I can print 13x19, I usually only print 4x6 at home, maybe a 5x7 once in a while.
    I use MPIX for large prints. I really like the metallic paper for B&W images. You can buy a color calibration print for a couple of dollars. You load the file and compare it to the print. Even though I have a calibrated monitor, this let me fine tune it to their system.