L-plate for E-M5 mark III?

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm trying to find a L-plate for my E-M5 mark III, to be used on a tripod (much steadier and easy to use in vertical orientation).

On my E-M10 I bought this kind of cheap L-plate with grip:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XZHK99R/
For approximately 25€.
It was cheap and efficient, but I don't need the grip. It's very bulky, not very comfortable, and you could remove it but then there was a part of the plate sticking out of the side, which wasn't comfortable at all.

I didn't see any similar product for the E-M5.3 yet, but the RRS plate is available:
https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/olympus-em1-plates_3
It seems to be very well made but there is 2 problems:
1) They doesn't seem to be well distributed in Europe. From their website it's very expensive (135$ + 75$ shipping to France + 30% taxes and custom fee = more than 250€ and twice the cost of the product).
2) the L part is either in the way of the swivel screen, or in the way of the remote connector.

For the second point... I'm not sure there is anything to do. From my point of view it's a misconception of the E-M5.3 (the remote plug is very oddly placed and it already blocks part of the screen orientation - I'd prefer a tilting screen... or at list a connector on the other side of the camera).
Most of the L-plates would probably have the same problem.
There is, of course, the possibility to use my smartphone as a remote but I don't like it much (you have to make the connexion work, drains both batteries - phone & camera - and not as comfortable to use as a wired remote).

Maybe there are some generic L-plates that could be used, or other alternative products?
Knowing that:
- the battery compartment has to be accessible
- ideally, the position of the L bracket would have to be adaptable as on the RRS one to at least leave the option to access either the swivel screen or the remote connector.

Does anybody already tried a L-plate on this camera?

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought 3 legged thing Ellie short, which I use on my 5iii. It is adjustable.

3 legged thing Ellie Short L grip for use on my EM5iii

img_0080-jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Apple iPad back camera 4.28mm f/2.4 4mm f/2.4 1/329s ISO 50

The pins may be removed, and the L grip may be configured differently.

img_0083-jpg.jpg

Apple iPad back camera 4.28mm f/2.4 4mm f/2.4 1/458s ISO 50

This model allows easy access to the battery compartment. You should be aware that there is an Ellie model which has a longer base which covers the battery compartment

img_0081-jpg.jpg

Apple iPad back camera 4.28mm f/2.4 4mm f/2.4 1/15s ISO 200

Unfortunately the image has loaded incorrectly- but here the camera is attached to the tripod. Remote lead attached

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for the information. Your pictures are very helpful, and it seems like a nice solution (and it's reasonably priced).
I'd just have to find some way to buy it (only the "normal" version seemed to be available in official stores in France).
Obviously, I need the short one... however, it'll be easier to get that the RRS plate.

One disadvantage compared to a "tailored" bracket is that it doesn't block rotation as well - but I guess you can't have it all :)

bargainguy

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Don
I'm in the same boat - new 5.3 owner and looking for a form-fitting Arca plate.

I'm neutral on RRS. Have a couple of their plates, and they're nice, but not worth $135 in this case.

I'll probably use a universal plate in the meantime and wait for a company like Fotodiox to produce a less expensive form-fitting alternative.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I'm in the same boat - new 5.3 owner and looking for a form-fitting Arca plate.

I'm neutral on RRS. Have a couple of their plates, and they're nice, but not worth $135 in this case.

I'll probably use a universal plate in the meantime and wait for a company like Fotodiox to produce a less expensive form-fitting alternative.

Yes that is a problem, some of the 3rd party L-brackets do not have an anti-twist design.
So when put on a tripod in vertical orientation, the cameras slips and starts to point to the ground.

D

Deleted member 29285

Thanks for the information. Your pictures are very helpful, and it seems like a nice solution (and it's reasonably priced).
I'd just have to find some way to buy it (only the "normal" version seemed to be available in official stores in France).
Obviously, I need the short one... however, it'll be easier to get that the RRS plate.

One disadvantage compared to a "tailored" bracket is that it doesn't block rotation as well - but I guess you can't have it all :)

The 3 legged Ellie Thing is listed on eBay, from US and UK sellers, price from $64.99 US plus shipping.
Is that an option ?

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 3 legged Ellie Thing is listed on eBay, from US and UK sellers, price from $64.99 US plus shipping.
Is that an option ?
Yes it is.
From UK it's approx 80€ shipping included (don't know if there can be custom taxes yet with UK...).
It's 20€ more than I can get the normal version but it's still a valid option.

It's much more than what I paid for my em10 bracket, but I wouldn't want a similar one for the em5.3 anyway. Too big... most low cost brackets are like this.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I consider it as advantage to get a universal Lplate instead of a specific one.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Don
Funny thing: The IBIS is so good on the 5.3 that I find myself leaving the tripod at home.

That's a game changer for me. I don't mind working with a tripod in certain conditions, but most of the time, it just slows me down, and prefer to work without one.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Funny thing: The IBIS is so good on the 5.3 that I find myself leaving the tripod at home.
IBIS is good, but there are a lot of situations were I would need a tripod anyway.
I don't see myself taking 3 seconds pictures relying on IBIS.
And sometimes it's 30 seconds... or more... or live composite, etc... etc...

Real Name
Walter
I am keeping my eyes open for an L-plate for the 5.3 that has a grip extension as well as Arca-Swiss rails. The Olympus grip does not have Arca-Swiss grooves, which makes it semi-useless to me. :-(

D

Deleted member 29285

I am keeping my eyes open for an L-plate for the 5.3 that has a grip extension as well as Arca-Swiss rails. The Olympus grip does not have Arca-Swiss grooves, which makes it semi-useless to me. :-(

I would be patient a little longer, in anticipation that the people in China who make the E-M5 II, and E-M10 grip, will develop one for the E-M5 III.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would totally have bought the oly grip if it was arca compatible... and with a possible l plate extension.
But I don't find the chinese grips so comfortable...

Real Name
Walter
I would totally have bought the oly grip if it was arca compatible... and with a possible l plate extension.
But I don't find the chinese grips so comfortable...

Agreed. If only it had... The only Chinese-made accessory grip I found comfortable was one that iShoot made for the EM10 II. However, when I tried to order it from Photoloving.com, the Chinese company that sold it, they kept sending me the wrong model and gave me such a hassle that I ended up returning the grips and struggling to get my money back. I vowed never to do business with them again. :-O

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agreed. If only it had... The only Chinese-made accessory grip I found comfortable was one that iShoot made for the EM10 II. However, when I tried to order it from Photoloving.com, the Chinese company that sold it, they kept sending me the wrong model and gave me such a hassle that I ended up returning the grips and struggling to get my money back. I vowed never to do business with them again. :-O
Didn't know there was this type of grip/bracket. It seems much better than the other grips...

Real Name
Walter
Didn't know there was this type of grip/bracket. It seems much better than the other grips...

Yes, I really liked it (my friend had one), but the Chinese seller gave me the runaround and I never got the right grip. Damned frustrating. Ironically, when my friend sold his EM10 II, he gave me the grip, so I got one finally. :)

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It doesn't seem that this exists for other olympus cameras...
I bought the official grip for my E-M10 (which looks a bit like the ishoot), it was comfortable but I almost never used it.
I'm not going to do the same mistake with the official E-M5 grip :)

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
I bought a Neewer (I think that's correct) L bracket for my em1 mkii that has served me well. I will wait for their one for the em-5 and rely on ibis. I don't understand why the Olympus grip is not arca swiss, seems a missed, obvious, opportunity. On a connected topic does anyone think we'll ever get a battery grip for the em)5 mkiii?
Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom