L-plate for E-M5 mark III?

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
Funny thing: The IBIS is so good on the 5.3 that I find myself leaving the tripod at home.

That's a game changer for me. I don't mind working with a tripod in certain conditions, but most of the time, it just slows me down, and prefer to work without one.
IBIS is good, but there are a lot of situations were I would need a tripod anyway.
I don't see myself taking 3 seconds pictures relying on IBIS.
And sometimes it's 30 seconds... or more... or live composite, etc... etc...
Also, I do a lot of multi-shot wide panoramas, taken with a vertically oriented camera - for maximum height; you don't need more width on each shot - you're already taking at least say 5 or 6 shots anyway, which are stitched together side by side. Panoramas come out MUCH better if taken from a tripod.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Panoramas come out MUCH better if taken from a tripod.
Ideally, you also have to turn around the "correct" point to get an easier assembly (especially if there is a foreground).
I have all the necessary gear to do this (graduated L-plate with indication of which value to use with each lens/focal length, cheap panormic head, etc...) but hardly ever use it.
The pano head is great to have a rotation point on top of the tripod head (some tripod heads already work like this, like Arca P0 which is great but expensive.
But most of the times I'm too lazy to use it...

I bought 3 legged thing Ellie short, which I use on my 5iii. It is adjustable.

3 legged thing Ellie Short L grip for use on my EM5iii
I just received mine.
It's perfect for my E-M5 III, and probably about a mm too long for my E-M10 to be able to open the battery trap.
I bought it for my E-M5 III though, so that's fine.

I just wonder what the 2 little screws on the bottom plate are made for:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's very difficult to use the bracket with my Sirui tripod with these screws. And that makes the bracket unstable (not plane).
I removed them and it seems fine.

The only problem I have is that I don't want to tighten the screw too much into my E-M5 after reading some issues of failure... so there still have some slight rotation movement possible between the bracket and the E-M5 (when forcing on the L part)

PJ2

Mu-43 Veteran
Pleased you like it. I flip the L to the handgrip side, which allows full access to the remote socket and full articulation of the screen. This does mean the battery access is not available.
I think those 2 screws line up with arca plate- you can’t slide the plate in with them in place. I have not removed them but insert plate by loosening the lock button fully and insert by tilting the grip

I've thinked about flipping the bracket completely, but didn't try it yet.
However, the screen is partly blocked by the remote cable anyway.
I really prefer tilt screens... they allow less movement but are much easier to use.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
As PJ2 says, those screws are an arca plate feature, which a lot of arca plates have - they are a safety feature that prevents the plate from just sliding out of the bracket. But they can also be a hindrance on some heads.
Edit: to elaborate, having those screws in place means that you cannot just slide the plate onto the bracket. You have to open the bracket enough to tilt the plate onto it (in other words, it has to be REALLY opened wide). But once you have the plate in place, you cannot slide it out (just like you couldn't slide it in), which is the safety feature. Some Sirui heads have a red push-button that you push in that can help with this (I forget exactly how, but remember discovering that it helped). :)

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Some news.

RRS has an EM5 III plate, and it has Arca-Swiss grooves as well as a two-position L-plate, but it doesn't have an extension grip, which is what I'm interested in. :-(
https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/olympus-em1-plates_3 (it is a 5.3 plate even though the URL says otherwise)

STC has a very interesting L-plate for the 5.3 that has a folding lower grip extension (as well as an upper one). The only drawback is that the shipping (from Taiwan) makes it a bit pricey. Looks really nicely made and designed. I'm keeping an eye on this one. These are the same guys who make clip-in astrophotography filters.
https://stcoptics.com/en/fogrip-em5m3/
https://www.photographyblog.com/news/stc_launch_folding_grip_for_olympus_om_d_e_m5_mark_iii

If anyone buys the STC FOGRIP, please let us know what you think.

Last edited:
This STC grip seems interesting.
There are no photos showing how much the screen can be articulated with the grip (and L plate) on.
In fact I don't know how it would be possible to get a L plate that allows full use of the LCD screen.

Except as proposed above, getting the L plate on the other side. I tested it and I don't like it, I didn't manage to get a good grip of the camera.

I guess I'll have to take the L part of the bracket on and off a lot...

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This STC grip seems interesting.
There are no photos showing how much the screen can be articulated with the grip (and L plate) on.
In fact I don't know how it would be possible to get a L plate that allows full use of the LCD screen.

Except as proposed above, getting the L plate on the other side. I tested it and I don't like it, I didn't manage to get a good grip of the camera.

I guess I'll have to take the L part of the bracket on and off a lot...
THAT is the issue that I have with L brackets. They do NOT get along with articulating screens, only tilt screens.

The RRS and a Chinese L-braket for another camera have the vertical rail off-set to the front, to allow the screen to open all the way, but you still can't open and tilt the screen.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
THAT is the issue that I have with L brackets. They do NOT get along with articulating screens, only tilt screens.

The RRS and a Chinese L-braket for another camera have the vertical rail off-set to the front, to allow the screen to open all the way, but you still can't open and tilt the screen.
The RRS seems to make the most accommodation for a tilt screen, but I think the reality is that L-brackets (at least the vertical part) aren't very happy with articulating screens on any camera. Most of them aren't happy with cables coming out the side either. But, if you're going to be serious about video, for example, you'd be more likely to use a cage than an L-bracket. Or, just not using an L-bracket at all.

I'm resigned to using the rear screen showing, but flat to the back, when using an L-bracket. I think that's the compromise you make to get the other desirable features, which for me are, in order of importance: 1) added grip-ability, 2) able to change batteries without taking the whole thing off, and 3) Arca-Swiss rails. Compatibility with the articulated screen would be a bonus, but not a requirement.

Last edited:

PJ2

Mu-43 Veteran
I mount my Ellie short with L to the grip. Here it is, mounted on tripod, the other night
IMG_5158.JPG
IMG_5157.JPG

This allows the screen to articulate freely, and remote to be attached without problem. As you can see, it does compromise battery access.

It is a 3 legged thing Ellie Short bracket. Hope that helps

Yes, it's probably the best choice in order to get full access to the screen.
However, it's not comfortable to use at all (for me) when not used on the tripod.
It also compromises SD card access.

When I'm doing a lot of tripod photography (I never take videos), I like to leave the bracket on the camera even when take the camera out of the tripod.

That won't be possible with the em5.3, I'm afraid.

And there's also the remote cable that is partly blocking the screen...
I have clearly overlooked the disadvantages of an articulated screen before buying this camera... not that there is any alternative in the m43 lineup... all the high end ones have articulated screens...

PJ2

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the Olympus ecg5 and you can attach the L plate to that. This means you may remove the ecg when not using the l plate

Sorry about picture quality, was using iPad!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom