1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

L-fn function button on 12-40 pro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by StefanKruse, Mar 23, 2016.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I had my 12-40 for 3 weeks and I am loving it, but yesterday I realised that I am not taking full advantage of the lens, as I am not been using the L-fn button.

However I am not used to having this functionality on my lenses and I rarely use the camera ones either. Camera is set up with focus assist and HDR (although I never use HDR).

So was wondering what great ideas you all have for utilising the L-fn button?

Thanks

2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    What about Depth of Field preview - appropriate for a lens function I would have thought.

3. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    It's tricky since not all my lenses have it. DOF preview is natural enough but I always want that available so I have it on a body button. Duplicating it on the lens is largely pointless due to muscle memory.

So I just have mine disabled since I can't think of anything that makes sense *only* on my 2.8 zooms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Teleconverter...?

• Like Like x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Same here. I've left it as AF stop since it's kind of useful when doing C-AF for quick and easy video, the 12-40 is about the only lens I use for that sort of thing. If I'm doing a set up video with a prime I'll be using MF anyway.

6. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    What is or what do you mean by AF stop?

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since this also came on the earlier kit lens, 12-50EZ, for the E-M5 I can also help explain its function. When using Constant-AF for video use it can change focus when not wanted such as panning from one person to another with a background that the lens would attempt to focus on & to keep it at the same focus point between one subject to the next (at about the same distance) this L-Function button when set for AF Stop will momentarily hold the focus while pressed during that panned movement. The biggest issue is to remember to press it when appropriate. :rolleyes: I hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's what it's called in the menu. It suspends C-AF while you hold it down, e.g. for if something moves between you and the subject, or the subject moves out of the focus area momentarily.

9. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks that makes sense - I dont do alot of Video, but I might for upcoing vacation though - question is whether I will remember to use it :)

10. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    First of all, congratulations on your new lens. I bought my 12-40 last year, and like you I quickly fell in love.

I have tried a bunch of things for the L-Fn button, but after a while I realized that a) it's not a button I would use a lot, as it's location on the lens puts it "out of sight, out of mind," and b) it's not a button I would have with other lenses like the 9-18 that I plan to buy, so I don't want to become reliant on the button for an essential function.

So what I've decided to do is assign a feature that I have elsewhere, but is not accessible with a single button press. In my case I use a E-PL7 that has only one command dial, and if I want to adjust exposure comp I have to press the up arrow on the 4-way pad before I can use the dial (and if I've been using the touch focus, I have to press the Off button on the screen to disable touch focus, then press up, then use the dial). So I have assigned the L-Fn button to exposure comp, and now I have fast, one-button access to exposure comp.

I currently have peaking assigned to the Fn button on the body, thinking I might want to turn peaking on and off, but I haven't felt the need, so now that I think about it I'm going to put peaking on the L-Fn button so I can have exposure comp on the Fn button close to my thumb. So in conclusion, I have put the least-used function that still saves me button presses on the L-Fn button.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This kind of reminds me of the aperture ring on one of my Leica primes. At first though, it is a nice addition. But in the real world, I just don't use it because I'm in the habit of having to use the aperture dial on the camera for every other lens. It's easier to pretend it isn't there.

Any function you set up to work with the lens button will still have to be accessed in-camera when you swap lenses. So teaching yourself to use that button will just throw you off later.

12. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    It would probably be more useful on a specialty lens. For example, I could make use of one on my Oly 60/2.8 since there are functions I only want on a macro lens. I'm *sure* I could think of something if (when? :) ) I get the 300/4.

But on a general purpose lens like the 12-40 that I interchange with primes...not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I thought I was crazy not using it because I didn't want to rely, or have to think about a function uniquely assigned to that button on one lens only. Glad to hear others felt the same way.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  14. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    It would be great if it could be a focus limiter on the 40-150 pro, it really needs one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I used to have mine set to DTC but found I often hit it by accident, and would mess up my framing.
    So now I have it set to S-OVF, which I don't really use but at least it is harmless.

Barry

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Physician's first rule.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Sorry but I haver no idea what DTC is or perhaps it is only the acronym that I am unfamiliar with? What is DTC? And since we are at it it what is S-OVF?

18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

DTC is the 2 X Digital TeleConverter option in most of the (Olympus) model cameras.

Also, S-OVF is the Simulated Optical ViewFinder that is now an option (with the latest firmware) in the latest OM-D cameras, E-M10 Mk II, E-M5 Mk II & E-M1 that now behaves & looks like it is the appearance & brightness of an Optical View Finder.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks Ross the fiddler.

DTC may actually be an idea as I have poor eyesight and I Suck at framing anyway :)

I google S-OVF and that function is not an option with my e-m10.

I am surprised (or maybe not actually - since I am doing it too) that no one has come up with a fantastic way to utilize the button. It seems it is often a thing mentioned as an advantage for the Oly lenses that have the feature.

20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    My E-M1 has enough buttons for me already, based on the current choices for assignment.
    However, I'm sure if there were more choices I could find something useful.
    For example, switching to mono, or switching AF/C-AF...
    Or disabling face detection... That'd be really handy on a button!

Barry

• Agree Agree x 2