Showcase Kowa Prominar 8.5mm f/2.8

I knew someone would question this.

There are a few reasons. First, I like heavier glass and metal designs. Part of the reason I like legacy glass is the robust feeling of it. This lens has that same feeling. Second, the lens is so optically corrected that there is little distortion. I plan to use it for some architectural shooting, so that is a big advantage. To go along with that is that CA is well controlled in the center and at the edge. But probably most of all is my inherent need to be just a little different. I like trying things that few others do. This lens fit the bill.

I also found a decent deal on a used one. Couple that with the money I made selling a print and I was able to pull it off.
What do you consider a decent deal on this lens?

I got a 8mm BCL for Christmas last year and found it way more fun and engaging then I would have ever figured for such a wide FOV. It fell out of a pocket on Halloween and I'm considering spending a lot more this time.

What do you consider a decent deal on this lens?

I got a 8mm BCL for Christmas last year and found it way more fun and engaging then I would have ever figured for such a wide FOV. It fell out of a pocket on Halloween and I'm considering spending a lot more this time.
This lens doesn't come cheap. Also, the best way to get one is Ebay from Japan. On occasion you can find one for under $600. B&H lists them, but they keep the price around $880.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom