Showcase Kowa Prominar 8.5mm f/2.8

Nice pics! Just curious what made you pick this one over the two Laowa options?
I knew someone would question this.

There are a few reasons. First, I like heavier glass and metal designs. Part of the reason I like legacy glass is the robust feeling of it. This lens has that same feeling. Second, the lens is so optically corrected that there is little distortion. I plan to use it for some architectural shooting, so that is a big advantage. To go along with that is that CA is well controlled in the center and at the edge. But probably most of all is my inherent need to be just a little different. I like trying things that few others do. This lens fit the bill.

I also found a decent deal on a used one. Couple that with the money I made selling a print and I was able to pull it off.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't trying to criticize or anything as it's a fine lens, just not an obvious choice for many. Keep posting good pics and maybe more will give it a chance!

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I've always liked that Kowa, thought it was a very cool lens, and the essentially zero-distortion design is really impressive. I just never was quite able to jibe with the price tag (and admittedly, it weighs more than I'd like, since an UWA prime is just a tangential aspect to my kit). Ironically, my alternative has been the Samyang 7.5mm/f3.5 with is all distortion, all the time...

Last edited:
I've always liked that Kowa, thought it was a very cool lens, and the essentially zero-distortion design is really impressive. I just never was quite able to jibe with the price tag (and admittedly, it weighs more than I'd like, since an UWA prime is just a tangential aspect to me kit). Ironically, my alternative has been the Samyang 7.5mm/f3.5 with is all distortion, all the time...
An UWA has been on my list for nearly 2 years now. This is the first "native" lens I have purchased since the Sigma 30 1.4 2 years ago. Something about the weirdness of it always kept it on my radar. Even after the Laowa was available. Weight doesn't really bother me. My Leica and Agfa lenses with adapters are similar weight.

I considered a fisheye for awhile. But I wanted something for wide landscapes and architectural. So the 0 distortion was appealing.

Something I have noticed with this lens is how it renders blues. It somehow concentrates or saturates blue hues. I can take two images shot within minutes of each other with this and my Panasonic 14.2.5, and if PP similarly, this lens will give richer, deeper blues. It's quite nice.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom