Kowa Cine Lenses for m43

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by madogvelkor, Nov 13, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Actually this looks pretty interesting. It seems that Kowa will introduce 6 new M43 lenses 8.5, 12, 16, 25, 35 and 50. Manual focus but all pretty fast.

The lens that really stands out for me is the 8.5 T3.0 (f2.8). This sounds like potentially a great lens to have. Manual focus on such a wide lens isnt an issue at all. If it is priced at US$400 or below I think this would be a very popular lens.
  3. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    That's excellent. They look like they fit size wise.

Can someone explain what industrial means, and does putting a lense out for our system based on this previous use mean compromise in quality, or potentially perform just as well as a lense built for the system from scratch?
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kowa is a good lens manufacturer so these will be of good quality. Not Zeiss level but better than the average. In case you don't know Kowa manufactures the optics for SLR Magic's better lenses. Kowa is also not new to making cine lenses as they used to have a line of Ariiflex glass{called prominar}. The ones shown look more like photography lenses and not cine. Except for being marked in t-stops they have photography style focus and aperture rings. We will have to see what the finished product ends up being. I personally hope they do both.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Now that you mention it I recall Kowa manufacturing spotting scopes and such... outdoors sporting type optics that are regarded pretty well if I remember correctly.
  6. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    yep, they make some of the best spotting scopes. should be interesting

7. speedandstyle

Yes, Kowa is well know for their tele and spotting scopes. They also make rifle scopes or at least did at one point.
  8. speedandstyle

I hate to burst everybody's bubble but I am betting the price on these new lenses will be close to and maybe over $1000 each. The reason I say this is because of a new tele lens they already have out{same cool grip design by the way!}.

From the Kowa European site

B and H has it as seen here.

Looks like a great tele system{converts into 3 different focal lengths with various adaptors} BTW the mounts available are Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony Alpha and micro 4/3!!!

Notice the price however - $3355 and the adaptors cost between $340 and $700!

The same Kowa page that details this new tele also show 4/3 c-mount industrial lenses, perhaps these are the lenses that were used to make the new m4/3 lenses?
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    In the video, they did say they're trying to make it affordable. I guess it all depends on what you would call 'affordable'.
    I'm also interested in the idea of a wide angle prime (8.5mm).

Just wondering, how do cinema lens vary from normal lenses? Is it mainly that they have an aperture ring?
  10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Wow, but I'm already half way there. All I need now is a Kowa 6x6 to MFT adapter.

There have certainly been a number of lens announcements. I guess that implies MFT is here to stay.

Any word about the Tamron 14-150mm yet?
  11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    seems rather silent on the tamron 14-150 front. Maybe you should just get the new panasonic version instead?
  12. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Always good news to hear about more m43 lenses on the horizon :smile:
  13. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Do you think the 8.5 mm will be a good rectilinear lens for still photography and not just for cinematography? The video shows practically no distortion for an ultra wide angle. It even has a filter ring.

John S.
  14. speedandstyle

I think the "affordable" is in regards to cine lenses which generally run for thousands of dollars! Zeiss cine primes start at $4000 and go up from there{they are the best!}.

Cine lenses differ from photography lenses in several ways. First they are marked in t-stops where the actual amount of light is measured. This is so that when you switch lenses the exposure is exactly the same. F-stops are not always the same between lenses. Next the aperture ring is clickless so that you can change aperture smoothly while shooting. Lastly the focus ring is geared so it can be hooked up to a follow focus. Zeiss lenses have an added feature in that they are all sized the same so switching doesn't require changes to your rig including the follow focus and mattebox.

The lenses in the video look more like photography lenses in that they have rubber grip focus rings and clicked aperture.

If it is good enough for video production then it would be good enough for photography.
  15. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I think also the focusing ring on cine lenses have hardstops and are not focus-by-wire therefore making it easier for rack focusing.

Here is another review and short test from newsshooter.com with a test on the Black Magic Pocket Cam.

16. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, but that is for 43.3mm large sensors. An application for them would be something like attached to a line-scan camera recording high speed races. Some of those cameras have 8k resolution, I believe. A 500mm quality lens at f/5.6 for a large sensor is going to be expensive no matter what.
  17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Most higher quality industrial lenses are rated as 1 or 2 megapixel lenses. A 2 megapixel lens will provide a level of quality that takes advantage of those "high end" 2 megapixel sensors used for positioning in robotic industrial machines.

I would expect these lenses to be their highest quality industrial lenses in new bodies with photography appropriate aperture and focusing mechanisms. I don't expect them to cost anywhere near the price of that previously mentioned 500mm lens or their high end spotting scopes.

I'm really looking forward to a rectilinear ultra-wide lens in the Samyang 8.5mm price range. A less expensive 12mm will be a very nice option as well.

18. speedandstyle

Correct! Of coarse "focus by wire" is an idiotic excuse for manual override. In my personal opinion it shouldn't be allowed on any lens and is my biggest complaint about the m4/3 standard.

I did a little searching and found some more info.
    Here is the Kowa USA site - http://www.kowa-usa.com/kowanewweb/
    Kowa Sporting site with the telephoto lens - http://kowasporting.com/
    Kowa USA page for the 4/3 industrial lenses - http://www.kowa-usa.com/kowanewweb/lenses/fa16.html
    Kowa Europe page showing all of the 4/3 lenses{some pages do not show the 8.5mm} - http://www.kowa.eu/lenses/en/cat.fa_serie_43_xc.php

And finally an glimpse of possible price. Here is an online store selling the 1 inch industrial lenses.

I figure the 4/3 industrial lenses should be $50-$100 more expensive for equal focal length and the m4/3 cine versions to be another $100-$200 over that. Of coarse that is just my guess. So with that in mind the lenses should be in the $500-$700 range.
  19. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    That guy is a horrible interviewer....
  20. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    CAn't get the links to work???....