Kowa 8.5mm/2.8 or 7-14mm/4 (and why not the 9-18mm)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by krixoff, Dec 11, 2014.

1. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Hello,

I own an GX7 since one year, and my only one lens is the versatile Voigtlander 17.5mm.

I'm looking for an ultra wide angle. I got the Olympus 12/2 before, but it was not too wide for me. I'm looking for wider.

I really like prime lens and i'm not fan of zoom lens.

I may considering to buy the Olympus mzd 9-18mm but it got many distorsion (like the 12/2 at wide aperture) and don't like plastic build. The kowa is the perfect lens if i don't want distorsion.

The Panasonic 7-14 is nice also but filters can't be mountable Even that's possible, it's really an inconvenience for me.

What do you think? Thanks for reading my topic.

I would not like to talk about the future 7-14/2.8 Olympus, because i think the price will be high.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There's also a 4/3 Oly 7-14mm, f4.

Barry

3. krixoff

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Thanks for your answer but i don't have the right adaptator ring.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    What are you planning to photograph?

Have you considered a fisheye? Most are much cheaper than the 7-14s or Kowa lenses.

Barry

5. krixoff

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Thanks for your reply.

50% stills 50% video.

I got the 7.5mm before. it's nice but not interested in fisheye anymore. And i don't have a powerful computer to defisheye my videos later.

6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I've got the same problem - if you want to use filters (which I do) the only current choice is the Kowa 8.5, SLR Magic Hyperprime 10mm or Oly 9-18.
    The upcoming Oly 7-14 doesn't accept filters.

7. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Distorsion is something that can easily be corrected in post, Lightroom does that automatically. I have no knowledge regarding video and whether or not distorsion can be fixed in a video, though.

About built quality: the 9-18mm is pretty well made for a plastic lens. I have handled my fair share of plastic lenses, from the cheap kit zooms of many manufacturers to some more quality stuff, and I find my (newly-acquired) 9-18mm to be pretty solid. It's also really nice because it is a very tiny lens that you can put in your coat pocket/small bag and use it often, compared to a heavy all-metal lens that you might resent at some point if you need to lug it around but use it only 10% of the time. Also, the 52mm filter thread makes it cheap to buy quality filters (polarizer and ND).