Konica Mount = Minolta Mount???

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jetta-the-hut, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jetta-the-hut

jetta-the-hut Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    Southport,NC
    I just bought a Konica m4/3 adaptor for my E-PL1 and was wondering if the konica mount and the Minolta mount are 1 in the same?
    My wife has a minolta film camera with a few lens and i'm looking at picking up a 50mm 1.7 hexanon, so while im cruising ebay alot of them say konica/ minolta. Will the adaptor work for both types?

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Probably not. I learned this the hard way.

I was trying to find the one I ended up buying but it's getting lost in my highly-organized filing system I have here.

3. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    They are not the same.

Konica had its own mount and Minolta was a competing mount which was not the same. You will need a Konica mount adapter.
    Dan

• Like Like x 1
  4. jetta-the-hut

Sep 14, 2012
    Southport,NC
    im guessing it has to be an AR mount, I have found a few specifically, the 40mm and the 50mm lens almost all have Konica Hexanon and i think those will be ok, from what ive seen Ebay is adding the Minolta to the listing in the catagories once you ckick them and break it down the seller doesnt have minolta in the listing.
    I guess i just need to be careful of which one i buy.

Anyone have experience with the 40mm 1.8 or the 200mm f/4 on a m4/3?

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    No, these are two separate and distinct mounts. The companies didn't merge until the early 2000's, but the lenses and mounts you are seeing precede that by decades.

In fact, there are TWO different incompatible Minolta mounts: one for their manual focus bodies and another for their "Maxxum" AF bodies. The Maxxum AF mount remains in use today by the Sony Alpha bodies.

Here is some info on the various Konica and Minolta mounts:
    • Konica AR mount - this mount has one of the shortest registers of any of the SLR mounts, which means the adapter protrudes less from the front of the :43: than other SLR mounts - ADAPTER
    • Minolta SR mount - Minolta used this mount from the 50's through 2001, it is compatible with their popular manual focus MC and MD lenses - ADAPTER
    • Minolta AF/Sony Alpha mount - This mount was introduced in the 1980's with their Maxxum AF cameras. When adapted to :43: you will lose the AF ability of these lenses - ADAPTER

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't have any experience with the Hexanon 200/f4, but the 40mm/f1.8 pancake is a very fun lens to shoot with on :43:. It's one of the more compact SLR lenses available and it is sharp and fast. I would recommend it highly to anyone who wants to dip a toe into shooting with adapted lenses.

Check out this thread to see lots of images users here have made with this lens. And here's the 200mm/f4 thread.

7. jetta-the-hut

Sep 14, 2012
    Southport,NC
  8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Those links I supplied were meant mostly to just show the adapters, they shouldn't be construed as an endorsement of the Fotodiox brand. Although others have posted good things about the Fotodiox adapters, I don't have any personal experience with them. I believe that the Konica adapter I have is branded Fotasy, and it works well enough.

My own strategy on shopping for adapters is to search eBay and choose the cheapest one from a seller with whom I feel comfortable. These are pretty simple pieces of machinery for the most part and I personally don't feel that there's much of a correlation between price and quality at the low end (on the other end of the spectrum there are very pricey adapters from Novoflex, Voigtlander and others which I have no doubt are machined to tighter tolerances, though, again I haven't used any of these myself). I figure if I buy the cheapest one I can find (generally under $20), even if it doesn't work well or breaks, I'm not out much and can just try another brand.

Of course, I'm using only super inexpensive, thrift shop lenses. If I had some more expensive glass I might consider paying more for one of the high-end adapters.

9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Note also that if you are scrounging around eBay and the like:

1. There was an earlier Konica mount that preceded the AR mount. If memory serves, this mount had a flange that was compatible with the Exakta mount though diaphram coupling was different.
    2. The diaphram coupling differs between the early Minolta SR lenses and the later SR, MC, & MD lenses. This is of no consequence to those adapting the lenses to m43 but is to those using the lenses on Minolta bodies. The original SR lenses made for the original SR-1 will not fit any metered Minolta as the auto-diaphram pin protrudes too far into the body. The mounting flange, though, is the same as the later SR and the MC & MD lenses.

10. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Someone mention Hexanons?

Lovely things. I wouldn't bother with the 200mm f4. If you must have a 200mm go for the f3.5.

I'd highly recommend the 40/1.8 50/1.7 & 135/3.2

11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Quite, don't tell too many people. The prices will go up ... :)

... Konica's Hexanons are often surprisingly excellent lenses dispite the fact that there isn't much common talk about how great they are.

12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Haha, I picked up a clean 57mm 1.4 for four bucks at a flea market. Came with a free attached broken camera! Looks like it's one of the ones from the late 60s or so.

Too bad my MF skills are so lacking that I've hardly used it at all. I really need to force myself.