Konica Hexanon AR 85mm f1.8 Opinion

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by verbatimium, Aug 9, 2013.

1. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have been really enjoying adapted lenses with my PL5 lately (primarily my Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f3.2 which I got for dirt cheap). I have an option to add a mint condition Konica Hexanon AR 85mm f1.8 with leather case which is selling locally for 200$. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens and whether it is a good price for it or not.

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    If it's truly mint that is a good price for an excellent lens. I had a Hexanon 85mm for a couple of years but sold it recently because I hardly ever used it.
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I was looking at legacy fast 85mm lenses recently, and I certainly considered that Konica, as well as the Minolta 85mm f1.7, the Canon FD 85mm f1.8, Pentax 85mm f1.8, and the Nikon AIS 85mm f2 and earlier 85mm f1.8.

I ended up getting the much newer, faster, Bell & Howell 85mm f1.4 in Nikon mount for $190 mint used. The same lens is also sold under the brands Rokinon, Samyang, Bower, Opteka, Vivitar, and perhaps some others as well.

I can't comment on the quality other to say it's very well reviewed and especially considered to be a great value at it's price (typically, about $270 new and about $200 used), since it's due to arrive tomorrow. You might want to consider this lens as well, as it's reputed to be better optically than any of these older lenses wide open. By and large, the older lenses I listed tend to sell for prices in the $150-200 range depending on condition, so $200 for a mint Konica is fair - but, as I said, the newer 85mm f1.4 might actually be better.
  4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD

I had a great copy of the Canon FD 85mm f1.8 and the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 lens and did some comparison shots. The Rokinon was a better lens. Sharper at equivalent f-stops and a little faster overall of course. It was also slightly larger if that is an issue.
  5. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    When I got into M43, I built a table to organize comments and specs gleaned from the Web. Here are my notes for the Konica Hexanon AR 85/1.8, which weighs 390 to 400 grams. I've left the misspellings intact in case anyone wishes to search for the online source. Adjacent sentences don't necessary come from the same person or post:

The 85/1,8 is great lens. Compare it with the leica M lens (beleave me, it's true).. 55mm filter. I find shooting with this lens is a pleasant experience. I have an old one with half stops on the aperture ring. The 1,8/85 hexanon for 4/3 is really a great lens too. from www.buhla.de - Konishiroku / Konica Hexanon / Hexanon AR 85 mm / F1,8 : The filter thread diameter was 58 mm in older and 55 mm in later versions. The Hexanon / Hexanon AR 85 mm / F1.8 has an extraordinary image quality, and renders razor-sharp images with high contrast and very good color fidelity from edge to edge.

67mm long. 6 elements in 5 groups. Many variations. I wouldn't rave on the performance of the Konica Hexanon at f1.8 on micro four-thirds. But when you stop it down to 2.8, it's sharp and the colors are beautiful. That's been my experience with several Hexanon lenses on m 4/3. Stop them down 1 stop from maximum aperture and they offer lovely images. The Konica is a very sharp lens even wide open. You'll have to correct for a bit of CA though, but if it's B&W photos you are after it's a no-brainer if you can find one.​
    • Like Like x 1
  6. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Cool, thanks for the help everyone.