Konica Hexanon AR 57mm 1.2 vs Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 SLII

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TBK, Jun 1, 2012.

1. TBK

TBK Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012

I'm hoping someone might be able to compare and or advise with regards to these two lenses and their characteristics (the lenses, not the user :wink: ). The difference in color, contrast, bokeh, rendering, and so on.

Though it would be occasionally used stopped down, the primary interest will be shooting at f2 or wider for portraits, going for nice bokeh, a nice balance of contrast that's neither too low nor too high, nice color, rendetion, and ideally finds the balance of being none too sharp to reveal every little blemish, but also not overly soft or low contrast (picky I know...).

I've read great things about both lenses, and it might seem an odd comparison. I've come into a position to buy the Hexanon 1.2 (the latest/final version) locally for $375.00, which appears to be a good price (?). If I had the sense that price aside, the Voigtlander were somehow better in all regards, it might sway me towards it, as my father shoots nikon and once in every great once in while (read - maybe once a year), he might find use for it and the contacts the SLII contains. One thing I've read about the Voigtlander is that the contrast is low at 1.4, and so I'm assuming the same for the Hexanon as well, but not sure if Voigtlander is noticeably lower.

The images I've seen from the Hexanon on this forum, it just really seems to strike the balance of what I'm looking for in my ideal portrait lens... dreamy but not too soft, not too sharp, great bokeh and rendering. It just seems to have that "look," and when I first saw images from it (some portrait esque images from Brian Mosley) I just went "that's it."

Suffice it to say I'm somewhat leaning, but all the same, I'd very much like perspective from anyone who has experience with both.

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration,
  2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Hello, and welcome Brian.

I'll give this a bump by saying that I have neither but I do have the Konica 57mm f1.4 and it's the only legacy lens I really use. In it's favour over the f1.2 are size, weight, and price. I thought I read that it was sharper at equivalent apertures too. I posted a picture here

Have you seen the discussions about using a baffle in the adapter to increase contrast?