Konica Hexanon 50 1.4 disassembly Q

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mperete, Sep 5, 2012.

1. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Can anyone tell me how to get the front element out? I've managed to remove the plastic ring but don't know what to do next. I'm trying to get to the fungus. It really looks like they're just under the front element.

There are three holes under the plastic ring, one with a visible tiny screw. The two holes on the opposite side are deep. I don't know if there are screws on the bottom. Or do I just unscrew the whole element with a spanner?

TIA for any reply :smile:

Attached Files:

2. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Ok, so I managed to take the front element off. I just had to unscrew the whole thing. Lucky I had a pair of rubberized gardening gloves lying around. Anyway, I still couldn't get the top most element (there were 3 pieces on the front half of the whole lens) so I made do with cotton swabs + glass cleaner. Now, whether that damaged the coating or not I don't know, but hey presto, fungus gone. I was left with ooogly smudges though :rofl:

Attached Files:

3. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    This is the result:

Wide open with a cheap polariser, jpg straight out of the cam

7941756620_ff6b7a9038.
    P9060051 by Mann_Perete, on Flickr

7941761866_acdff0623c.
    P9060050 by Mann_Perete, on Flickr

Haven't tested it outside yet, but before I cleaned it images were soft (probably still is lol)

• Like Like x 1
  4. theconejo

theconejo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    chicago.
    Awesome! I came across this soon after you posted and I spent like 40 min googling. And I was led down some odd tangents, but still came up with nothing for the konica itself. Quite a few in regards to a minolta, but I didn't think they would be similarly built, although people group them together a lot.

5. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Yeah I was burning out searching any info on the net for this lens. I just went for it and ripped the plastic ring out of there. It was just stuck.

So now I've disassembled the front again and soaked the elements in isopropyl alcohol and let them dry. There were a few dried alcohol patches, but I didn't wipe the glass, just the areas that had dried alcohol. Looks way better now but I snapped the plastic ring in two so that wont be going back lol

The lens is sharp with a bit of a glow when wide open. Now I have the Canon 50 1.4 (newer fd) and Minolta MC Rokkor X 50 1.4 to compare it with. The Minolta has the best resolution. The Canon 50 is just a tad sharper but "flat". I'm still waiting for the Zeiss Planar T 50/1.4 :smile:

6. theconejo

theconejo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    chicago.
    Sweet! I got a Minolta rokkor 50/1.4 (the 49mm thread one) and was doing a bit of shooting just around the house and the low light is so amazing with it. Also the photos were super sharp.
    I'm on the lookout for more of these legacy lenses, although I'm not sure which yet. I actually prefer them since I can adjust aperture and focus much easier than using dials or the screen.

I'll be on the lookout for you comparison thread.