Showcase Konica Hexanon 45mm f1.8 (refit from fixed-lens RF camera)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by gnarlydog australia, Mar 28, 2016.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have a few SLR adapted lenses to M43 and the large adapters necessary to get the right flange distance bother me. I want a "native" look on my Olympus cameras :boohoo:
    Recently I sourced a fixed-lens rangefinder with a promising lens (I had Konica's reputation to go by).

[​IMG]Konica auto S2 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

The camera had issues, but the lens was clean.
    Extracting the lens off the rangefinder body was relatively easy; a bit of unscrewing of cover plates and levers but also a few "snapped off" little cams that were still holding the lens to the body. Yeah, you could call it a mild hack more than precision surgery ;)
    The flange distance for the Hexanon 45mm f1.8 is very short, possibly around the same as M43.
    Luckily the barrel of the rear helicoid was just smaller than the M43 throat so it would fit into a M39 adapter. The lens fitted when freelensing but the I would not get infinity focus.
    I had to shave off a lot of the helicoid on the rear by grinding away with a Dremel first and sandpaper to finish it off.

[​IMG]back of Hexanon 45mm by gnarlydog, on Flickr

A few evenings and blisters on my fingers got me the lens close enough to the sensor to get infinity focus.
    The M39 adapter also needed some tweaking to accommodate the lens.
    Ultimately everything was carefully assembled and then epoxy glued (JB Weld) together.
    It is a job that I don't want to repeat but the real question is: was is worth it?
    Well, kind of.
    I have a lens that is rather compact but not as much my M.Zuiko 45mm.

[​IMG]Hexanon 45mm on E-M1_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr
    It is somehow harder to use (yes: manual focus for example!) but the bokeh is something different than the modern glass.
    Specular highlights are rendered as bubbles and wide open the lens is a bit "dreamy".
    It is however rather sharp with a hint of glow on the edges and I like it for portraits. It doesn't flare too much against direct light. I think that has more potential than my other adapted and transplanted lenses in this focal length.
    Here are some samples:
    Wide open at f1.8
    [​IMG]Zeta by Elena by gnarlydog, on Flickr

At f2.8
    [​IMG]Martin Easter 2016_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Wide open
    [​IMG]DV240045 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

[​IMG]Konica Hexanon 45mm f1.8 by gnarlydog, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 6
  2. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014