Konica AR Adapter - which one do you use

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by verbatimium, Sep 10, 2013.

1. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I have some Konica Hexanon AR gems but am not satisfied with the adapter that I am using. I have only one tried one, the cheap one you can order from China off of Ebay, labeled as "FOTGA KONICA-M4/3". The AR side is nice, locks in all of my lenses firmly an. However the M4/3 side is relatively lose on the body of my PL5 (around 1mm wiggle room). This gets a bit annoying when trying to fine focus using longer/heaver lenses. The adapter also allows the lenses to focus past infinity, but that is not my main concern.

What Konica AR adapter do you use and how satisfied are you with it. I am looking for one that firmly locks in on the lens side, as well as the camera side. I don't really want to be purchasing adapters until I find one that satisfies my needs. Only looking for input from people that actually have first-hand experience with different Konica adapters.

Thanks in advance.

2. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    The Fotga one I have locks in nice and tight.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I use the Rainbow Imaging adapter, which is super cheap, and I'm happy with the $14 I spent on it. It's fairly tight, but does allow the lens to focus past infinity. That's not a big deal to me - once you get used to the amount you need to turn the focus ring back toward the center after going to infinity, it becomes muscle memory every bit as much as twiddling the focus ring itself.

4. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin

Really? On what camera. Cause I have 2 of these adapters and on my PL5, there is wiggle room.

5. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    G5.... I will try it out on my EP2

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    In my dreams, the Metabones Speedbooster for the Konica mount...

Buy a few adapters. I have one for each of my lenses. There are subtle differences between them.

7. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    I just used the Fotga on both my G5 and EP2. Nice and snug fit on both.

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My AR adapter says Pixco on the side, and it's tight on the camera side.

10. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Yea I was thinking of trying the Pixco one because of some good overall reviews of it. What camera do you use it on? Do your Konica lenses fit tightly on it as well. Do they also lock into place?

11. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Just ordered a Rainbow Imaging Fotasy, as well as a Pixco adapter. Hopefully one of them will be a bit tighter on the camera. Thanks for the input.

12. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I think you're going to be happy with the Rainbow Imaging adapter. All my Rainbow Imaging adapters fit snugly on my camera and lens.

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Umm. . . I don't see anything on that thread about shimming out to get infinity focus better. The only thing I see is, comments about using tape on the mount ends to make the fit tighter while also helping the infinity focus issue.
    My MD mount already fits nice and tight but focuses past infinity; too much for my liking.

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's on page 2 of 4.

15. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Yea I have a Rainbow Imaging adapter for Minolta MD mount and it's actually a lot better. So I am hoping that's going to be the one that I like.

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Thank you for pointing that out to me, that is what I wanted to hear.
    I was thinking of doing this same thing too. Fantastic!

Me too, but Mine was loose when I 1st got it and I had to do the old screw driver trick, which that other thread enplanes, to get lenses to fit tight.
    The only problem now is that some of my very Old Rokkor lenses and none of my t-mount lenses fit it (lock in). Also the infinity issue.

However the Kipon lens adapters appear to me to be made with real spring clips inside, just like the Novoflex adapters are..
    I say appear because that is discerned from photos of the adapters I have seen online, and if they really are, it makes sense that they cost around $70. Which is still less than half of what a Novoflex adapter would cost.

I think I will be buying one of them Soon too for that reason, and because the release button for the lens is a nice smooth curved button and not the sharp pin type that every other Chinese adapter has.. I often hit it when using it on my G1 or GH2 and end up with a chafed, scratched, finger after a long day of shooting.

next chance I get I will stop by Adorama and see if they will let me test one on my camera and I'll bring a couple of the problem lenses with me. I have a feeling that the Infinity focus issue with be barely noticeable on that adapter too.

Does anyone else use a Kipon adapter?

17. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Yea I was actually looking at those too. If you do get a chance to try one out, can you post some feedback on them here. I think if they are perfect, and solve the loose fitting and infinity focus problems, I would invest in a Kipon for my numerous Konica lenses.

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

No problem, Will do..
    It just might be a while as I don't go into the city too often.

My main interest was for a Minolta MD adapter, but since I recently acquired some Konica mount lenses, I can take one along and see if they have a Kipon adapter in Konica AR mount and try one out too.