1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Konica 50/1.4 and Olympus 45/1.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jun 7, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Just for fun I went out this evening and shot a couple of comparison shots with my Konica 50/1.4 and Olympus 45/1.8. I shot them at f2.8 and manually focused the Konica (stating the obvious there) using the LCD and used the AF on the Olympus. All these images were shot within a few minutes of one another. This was by no means scientific. None the less I did find it interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was actually surprised at the results. They're both great but I found that I prefer the Konica. The Olympus missed focus a bit. I can probably improve that focusing manually. I would have thought the AF would have been better than my 51 year old eyes on the LCD...outside. Go figure.

[​IMG]

These are at f5.6. The Konica is still a bit sharper but more than that it has a lovely rendering of the image. Not sure what's up with the WB being off.

[​IMG]

I think the Konica is a keeper.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    Steven
    Important question: how many shots did you take and were they consistent?

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I actually shot with 4 lenses (the Helios 44M and the Super Takumar 50/1.4 as well). I shot 4 shots each and the shots were consistent by lens (meaning all the Helios shots looked the same, all the O45 looked the same etc.). All the shots were done over a period of 4-5 minutes at around 7:30 PM.

By no means scientific...I didn't even shoot them with the idea of posting. I was just curious how the different lenses rendered an image. When I saw the results I decided to post them for other folks to see. FWIW I was SURE the O45 would be sharpest.

4. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I do like the color better on the Konica

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm surprised at how much difference there is in the OOF on that second set of shots given that they're both shot at the same aperture. I guess that's just down to the longer focal length of the Konica.

Although I am predisposed to prefer the legacy lens over the Oly 45mm, I've got to say that I really appreciate the sharpness of the native lens in that second set of shots. That flower really pops out, even though the bokeh is not quite as "creamy".

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Me too. I've always loved the color of the Hexanon 50mm f/1.4, and this is why I've always kept that lens over any other Hexanon. The ever-popular 40mm f/1.8 pancake had very flat color in comparison, whereas my Zuiko glass was much nicer. Zuiko glass is very consistent in color... they are all rich, but they can be overly warm (as you can even tell in this example with a brand new m.Zuiko... the old OM Zuikos are even more noticeable). The Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 is one of the best I've found for being rich and contrasty in color, but very neutral and cool. I love that lens to death, but I wish it fit in my kits a little better. The Zuiko 50mm/1.4 beats it in compactness and ease of operation (what a dream to use those buttery smooth raised rubber focus ring and nose-mounted aperture ring), but the Hexanon 50mm/1.4 is overall one of the optically best ever.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree, the Konica 50/1.4 is amazingly nice (especially for the price) and beat out my OM 50/1.4 (just barely) when it came to keeping space on my shelf. I also agree that the OM 50/1.4 is really sweet, compact and just has a certain wonderfulness to the way it operates. I love the aperture ring placement. I have the f16 version with the half steps in aperture. I also put it up against my Super Takumar 50/1,4 and it was considerably sharper than that as well.

The Super Tak still wins for best feel though. It's soooo silky smooth.

10. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    Issue

I have a strange issue with my konica 50mm 1.4. It only happens when stopped down to f11 and f16. it's not a lens flare because the photo was taken in shadow and the sun was behind.

P1190052.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Is it always in the same location?

12. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    If for "location" do you mean the center of the photo the answer is yes. Always at the center. That purple spot it's the diaphragm blades, i suppose...

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith

14. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    At a closer look the lens appears to be free of dust and debris, but i've noticed, using a loupe, some of very light scratches on the frontal element.

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    How about the rear element? Any issues there are much more likely to have an impact on IQ.

16. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    It looks perfect, no dust, no scratches, nothing. I really don't understand...
    Maybe i have to start another thread, i'm fouling this thread.

17. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for posting. I prefer the Konica as expected.

18. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Julius, with the adapter removed and with iris wide open, hold back of the lens 1-1.5" from your monitor screen so text and grid lines are magnified & sharp as possible. Do you see a fungus?

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I just noticed that you put the Oly up for sale last night, Kevin. Looks like you've made your mind up. Of course, I can't say that I'm surprised: when I saw your post a couple of weeks ago where you were questioning the value of the 45/1.8 I kinda figured it would end like this.

I wish I could be as decisive as you are. I've got too many lenses sitting around myself, but I keep coming up with reasons to not get rid of some of them.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how you reinvest the proceeds from the sale into your kit.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, I have been heading this way ever since I got the Olympus 45. I liked it but it just never got me all excited. I don't have any criticisms of the O45 really. I know a few folks were in shock that I wasn't in love with it. I think it's a cool lens but mostly I use the P20 and P14-45. I have even thought about selling the P14 but after that weirdness were I sold off two and then bought on ein the space of a week I don't think I'd ever live that down. Besides I can throw it on my GF2 for a nice coat pocketable carry around.

Right now I'm pretty happy with the lens and cameras I have. For native glass I have the P14, P20, P14-45 and P45-200. For adapted glass I have the Konica 50/1.4 and 24/2.8, a Super Tak 50/1.4 and Helios 44M. I thought for a while I might try out the PL25 but I can't imagine it's that much better than the P20 and quite frankly the P20 focuses plenty fast for me. The one that has me intrigued is the Olympus 12/2 but I am not sure I'll find enough value in it to warrant that kind of outlay. I think I'll take the proceeds and save them. It looks like my wife, son and I are going to be going to Panama (and maybe Costa Rica) in January so I think I'll just toss the money into the "save for the trip" account.

The weather (as you know) has been miserable this year) this has been the longest winter and crummiest Spring that I can recall. I'm really looking forward to starting another POTD challenge for myself. I think I'll start it on the forst day of Summer. That gives me a few weeks to get ready and hopefully for us to finally get more sun.

• Like Like x 1