Konica 40 lens baffle question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am picking up a Konica 40 and I'd like to experiment with using a lens baffle with it. I get the concept but what I'm unclear on is how it gets put in. I've done some googling and the only step by stel I found was adapting a Konica 40 to 4/3. Id rather not have to do surgery. Does the lens need to be disassembled to add the baffle? Could it be added to the adapter? I know that I can fashion one out of flat black card stock or plastic (although if there is a way to buy them I'd be up for that as well.)

Any suggestions?

I suppose a deep hood would do the same (if the idea is to minimize stray light) but seems like that sort of negates the charm of the 40 being so compact (even WITH an m43 adapter attached).
  2. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    I'm not sure if this helps but I bought a konica 40mm not long ago from someone using a 4/3 camera. What he did to adapt it was that he took out the little piece sticking out from the back of the lens (I think it's the aperture diaphragm) because otherwise the lens would not fit into his camera. I would assume that you would need to do the surgery in order to put the baffle in.

From what I gather, this is what he did: http://blanahi.fortunecity.es/HexanonFTconversion.html

I hope I'm not wrong but that's what it seems like you have to do from my end. Hope you figure it out :smile:
  3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What do you mean by a "lens baffle"? In my experience, baffles are internal features of a lens designed to reduce reflected light and flare. Not sure how you'd add one to an existing lens.
  6. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I have made several of these for my L1. PM me if you need help