1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Komura 400mm f/6.3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by nsd20463, Oct 12, 2011.

1. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Three from this Komura Sankyo Kohko 400mm f/6.3 with a non-standard LTM reflex mount I've adapted with the help of some random extension tubes. Experiment shows this lens' register distance is around 82mm. It's not a standard Leica visoflex I distance at all.

Getting this very long lens (800mm effective focal length) working on m4/3 has been a multi-month start-and-stop learning experience in the some obscure legacy systems. And the results aren't as good as I would have liked [yet], especially given the effort I put in. Live and learn :smile:.

Hummingbird on branch, uncropped

p1090213_worked_resized.

Surfer in wave.

p1090520_0003_crop.

Center crop from 1st photo, unsized.

p1090213_worked_crop.

This crop shows a disappointing lack of sharpness and color fringes. Some is my lack of focusing and post-processing technique, some is the bird's incessant movement, and most really is this lens.

The red (front of focus)/cyan (back of focus) shows up around any out-of-focus bright/dark edge for any f-stop you'd want to use on m4/3 (f/6.3 - f/11). Past f/11 the diffraction blurs things even more, and I consider this lens unusable in that range.