Komura 35mm f2.5

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I received my W-Komura Sankyo Kohki 35mm f2.5 lens today, a brand that I'd never heard of before. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I got. It's had a bit of use, so wear on the outside is eveident, but mechanically it works fine and the optics appear to be 100%. It's all metal and has 10 aperture blades.

It's actually an m42 thread mount lens, but has a Pentax K bayonet screw mount adapter attached. Overall, it's not a very large lens for a relatively fast wide angle, though I think there are smaller and faster lenses in the M mount inventory. It doesn't appear to be a multi-coated lens and looks more single coated.

komura1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What's really interesting about this lens is how the aperture is selected. I've never before encountered a lens that works like the Komura. As you can see from the photo, it has two aperture rings and you have to use both to select your aperture. If you set the top ring to f2.5, that's all that you can get, using the lower ring; however, if you set the top ring to anything else, say even down to f22, you can use the lower ring to set the aperture to any setting between 2.5 and 22. The two rings are connected lock step to the maximum opening, but the lower ring allows any variation in between. Most unusual.

komura2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't really care about the technical features, as I look forward to exploring where and how this lens will be in its element, if that's possible. Even if it turns out to be a bit average, I just like the idea of experimenting with these lenses that are my vintage or older. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

ballfresno

Mu-43 Regular
Other lenses have this same type of aperture arrangement. My Jupiter 85mm f/2 does, for instance. I think it was intended for stop down metering cameras so that you would set the aperture you would expect to shoot at on one ring, open up the aperture to focus and then quickly set the aperture for shooting before pressing the shutter.

However, for those of us used to more modern approaches, it can get a little confusing, especially when in a rush!

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I did some checking about this, before I bought the lens, but couldn't make out how it all worked. Only after I actually got the lens, did it make sense. In a way it does make sense and could be quite useful, but there's nothing intuitive about it whatsoever. But that's what I like about all these old lenses.

Cheers

Ray

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
Komura is a pretty well known brand (or anyway I happen to run into it all the time). There are Komura lenses not only for mounts you'd expect but also for some you wouldn't, notably Bronica.

I think I've seen this double aperture business on Canon FL lenses.

Elliot

Mu-43 Regular
Komura was a quality piece of gear

a very long time ago, the importer in the United States was Ehrenreich Photo Optical, now known as Nikon USA.

I was a young man in those days and was an assistant product manager for Komura and other products, and I can tell you without any doubt that they had incredible optics and mechanical designs that would rival many lenses in today's market place.

And yes they also did manufacture lenses for Bronica who of course is also gone now.

chefkenny

Mu-43 Regular
Ray, can you post some pic taken with the lens? I just won one from the bay but is on Exakta mount doesn't cost much.

Cheer

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It looks in very good nick at the business end, where it counts.

Are you doing any C-mounts Oz?

Bokeh D

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Ray, can you post some pic taken with the lens? I just won one from the bay but is on Exakta mount doesn't cost much.

Cheer

I'll see what I can do, but some of my early testing didn't indicate that this was an exceptional lens, but I was also trying out some more interesting lenses as well.

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It looks in very good nick at the business end, where it counts.

Are you doing any C-mounts Oz?

Bokeh D

The most important thing is that the font and especially the rear elements are in excellent condition.

I have on C mount lens, a Sony 16-64mm f2 zoom, which i got for next to nothing, but it really doesnt work (just vignettes throughout).

Cheers

Ray

chefkenny

Mu-43 Regular
Just received my Exakta to EOS AF adapter and some test shots are ok not impressive. Maybe user error because I have to play a lot with the exposure.
Let me get use to it and will post some shots.

I think they are exactly the same lens except different mount.Well for $10 I can not ask for more :biggrin: the adapter cost 3 times more but I can use it on both of my Canon and Ep1.

Attachments

• P4302418.jpg
    P4302418.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,107

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I don't think this lens is the greatest, but might be OK for selective work. My Komura 200mm, on the other hand, is a lot sharper. I suppose you win some and you lose some, but that's half the fun, as long as it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg doing it. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

chefkenny

Mu-43 Regular
I think the lens is ok nothing impress me but the sharpness from my 20D is fine ( on my 24" dell LCD screen ) as I don't have any amazing lens so I believed it is a ok lens :biggrin: after I receive my Contax 45/2 next week I will reduce more lenses as lots of them are not worth to keep, just occupying more rooms in the house :rofl:

Latest threads

Top Bottom