Kodak S1 kit at Amazon for $285.43

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by dougjgreen, Oct 10, 2014.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    This is an impressive price.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Is it? You can buy a used E-P3 & 14-42 kit lens for similar money. Is the Kodak an obviously better choice in comparison? I have no idea; just wondering aloud...
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The kit lens on the Kodak has gotten some good reviews, and the sensor in the Kodak is newer and better than the E-P3. I think a more appropriate comparison is to the E-PM2 and E-PL5 and Pany GF6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I've been using the 12-45 lens from a separated S1 kit, build quality is far from satisfying but the performance at 12mm is quite good, the AF isn't accurate or fast on my EPL5 but perfectly OK on my G5; aperture blades cause a delay so you don't want it for fast moving subject.

the S1 body, uses a recent sony sensor and the JPG is actually not bad seen from a Chinese review, but it doesn't record RAW format during burst shooting. besides the body uses a Kodak hotshoe, different from the one found on other m43 models. AF is slow.

for an entry level kit it's OK i think, not the best.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Definitely interested in the lens, not so much in the body.
  7. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    $285 is a good price. The review over at Photgraphyblog was fairly positive. The 12-45 range is attractive, although the lens is rather large. Someone like me who just dished out for the 12-32 might have been tempted if I'd seen it here for that price.
  8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    At that price the only question is do I order 2 or 3? Maybe I can just use flex pay when they show up on QVC in a couple of weeks.
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I hope we get such a price when it appears on .co.uk ... eventually.
    I'm always interested in another sensor variation in the m4/3rds format, and the white camera looks a bit like an Imperial Stormtrooper off that there StarWars.
  10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I figured their MSRP was not going to be reality for North America. There's no way North Americans would pay upwards of $500 for that. I still think the kit with lens should be $250 straight-up. None of this "285, 295, 265" BS. That proprietary flash hot-shoe irks me a bit though.
  11. clockwork247

clockwork247 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    i got a used g3 for 100 bucks, that one has evf and a fully articular touch screen.... this is a good deal because it's new, but i would spend more and get something with a regular hot shoe and evf built in and IBIS... camera prices are coming down quick because with these mirrorless it's costing manufacture much less to produce.
  12. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    I'd pass. maybe if it was under $200 but I see no huge benefit over PM2 that I got for $200