Kodak revival new M43 camera

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by elavon, Jan 18, 2013.

1. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    That,s good, can only help to promote and secure the longevity of the m4/3 system.

3. mgear

mgear Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2013
    Eustis, Fl
    Sean Matt
    This is awesome. It never hurts to have more lenses and cameras on a system and I've always liked Kodak!
  4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
  5. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    looks cute...

[ Kodak S1 ]
    • Like Like x 2
  6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Heh, wrong era. :wink:
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Not too surprising since Kodak & Olympus were the founders of the Four Thirds System....:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    A new player is always good news to improve the system. Now Mu43 is definitely going mainstream.
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    If they can get into the mass market with the Kodak name (I've no idea of the distribution channels and abilities of the "new" Kodak), then that could help spread m43 certainly. I wonder if they'll make any lenses beyond a basic kit or two?
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    I think we need to take this news with grain of salt. Looking at the article below I do not know if the company have the resources for world wide penetration.
    It looks that it will be a niche player at some markets.
    In any case, I will be happy to be wrong, and the company will give us a decent product that will challenge competition.

Kodak camera licence to unknown start-up | PhotoCounter
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My first thought on reading this thread title was...

"The prodigal child has returned!"
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Another brand jumping into the m43 pool is great news, they actually might put out some new exciting lenses for us to play with, and even if they dont having another manufacturer in the m43 format just adds more validity to it.

I had been a bit nervous about m43 when I purchased the OMD, there are more and more APS-C sensor mirrorless cameras out there, and even with the excellent image quality of the OMD and the various m43 lenses, As much as i hate to say it, sensor size matters in many ways. The new player just helps stake out the m43 territory and helps to show it is here to stay.
  13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    So long as they produce a quality product then the Kodak name could give :43: a boost in the US. Olympus marketing hasn't really done anything to help people understand the system or the breadth of lenses/bodies available.:cool:
  14. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Heh, I actually had to double check and make sure it wasn't April 1st.

That's pretty cool, I would love to see 3 or 4 makers instead of 2 for the same system. It only helps strengthen the format to have competition - more price points/tiers, features, and names to choose from :2thumbs:
  15. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Even if it is just a licensed name, this Rochesterian is happy to see the Kodak brand in his system of choice.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011

But more players won't hurt in this game. Does anyone, besides RT, knows what Kodak means/represents? (No cheating, Googling/Binging/et al is cheating.)

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    --> Kodak and JK Imaging Announce Brand Licensing Agreement for Consumer Digital Products
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Actual facts and details about this development are very sparse and it could mean anything. If this new Kodak branded camera system is :43: mount then it must have the blessing of Olympus and Panasonic - I believe that unlike original 4/3, :43: is not an open standard. It may be, of course, a :43: sized chip with a different mount, quite feasible now that Sony are a 3rd part producer of :43: chips. In this case, :43: would become a fully fledged format supporting multiple systems and lens mounts, rather like APS-C and Full Frame do already. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
  20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The current Olympus image processing is incredibly good. Kinda makes me wonder what they could do with a full frame sensor! Imagine a D800 sensor with Olympus image processing? :wink: