1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kodak Retina iiic/leaf shutter adapter on m43?!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TheMenWhoDrawSheeps, Jul 3, 2016.

1. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    Yep it is silly, uncomfortable in use, but its still possible, so why the heck not?!

Ive watched a dismembering of copal-0 leaf shutter and had e weird feeling down my belly. Either it was love, or just weird memento excitement, but it was clearly enough to dig myself into my retro box, deep down my closet. 30 minuits later, and layers of dust deeper there she was Retina iiic.
    P7030288.JPG
    Quick check has shown almost mint condition, except for dust in the fiewfinder and slowly dying selen lightmeter(Nothing is build forewer). The Shutter and the lens are perfectly running, and what a joy it was setting it up. Also the working distance of the lens has shown it could be easily adapted on a system camera.)))

Why would i want such a thing in first place?! well its possible, and thats reason enough for me%). also i think it could be used as a weird daylight warkaround for live composite with fast shutter speed.

Clearly, it will be most userunfriendly setup ever -
    Setup composition/Focus plane/metering using Tripod, and bulb on leaf shutter.
    Set camera to live composite/bulb/2-3 s exposure, and use leaf shutter to your hearts content. also the flash synch up to 1/500 might be handy, but probably not with this setup%).

now the question - does enyone have manual, on dismembering Kodak Retina?) found no DIY/video so far. its my only exemplar so far, and i would like to keep it working, already found another option for 30$, to dismember, checking if its not a fake.

and second one - would you ever find use/consider a leaf shutter adapter for 35mm lenses?)
    How about interchangable shutter design on smaller format like m43, does it make sense? We already have the Olympus Air - i could really think of interchangable shutter design on that one - make it square, with small display on the top, the interchangable shutter with all the settings(fully mechanical, and digital one for broader audience), and you got most hipster camera ever.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've thought about it (using a solenoid to fire the copal based on x-sync with a slower shutter speed), however for that you only gain 1/3rd to 2/3rds of a stop at most on an E-M1 (generally less as 1/500th is pretty optimistic to begin with). For increasing flash sync it would really only make sense if Oly/Pan built it in to the lens to begin with (as a modern digital copal leaf shutter will go do 1/2000th).

I kind of get doing it for multiple exposure though, I seem to recall a lomo brand having a product doing that exact thing... can't remember what brand it was though.